Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

Urmyboyblue's mild build thread...Pic heavy...Long.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urmyboyblue's mild build thread...Pic heavy...Long.

So a member on here suggested I post up a build thread. It sounded like a good idea so here goes. It's not near as complete as a bunch of peoples threads as I should have taken pictures along the way for other things but I will try to remember next time.

I got rid of my nasty Evo X. I had actually just finished building it. I had only had it for a year or so but I was tired of it. I just finished slapping in a big Precision turbo in it and getting it tuned. She made a solid 500hp to all 4 wheels but at the end of the day, I'm getting older. It's just too far to travel to go and race and well, South Florida is just a horrible place for a "nice" car albeit there's plenty out there that trumped mine.

So, a wild hair takes me and my daughter to the local Jeep dealership. I had been looking at Jeeps for a while as I've had smaller go-fast cars for the past decade. I thought of a Raptor but then settled on the Jeep thinking it'd suit me better.

I brought home a 2014 Altitude edition. Had all the gadgets and bells and whistles I wanted. I thought I scored a good price so she was mine.

First step was to tint the windows. We're apparently closest to the sun in all of the world or at least it seems like it. No pics of that but a local shop whom I've grown to enjoy going to had a special on a lift, tires, and wheel spacers all installed at a great price. So, I came home 2 weeks after purchasing with the following:
Rubicon Express 3.5" lift
1.5" wheel spacers
35" Trail Grapplers
Spare tire spacer
Bilstein 5100's

I thought it was the bees knees but I couldn't leave it alone. However, I also couldn't justify spending $800 on a "USA made bumper" for something that I'll probably use at most 5 times/year. Florida is flat and that's ok. I still wanted something a little beefier up front and look decent. I've liked stinger bumpers so I picked up the Smittybilt front stinger along with the XRC 9.5 winch.

I was, apparently different than most, extremely impressed with the bumper. I did not have to enlarge any holes. Did not have to notch anything. It fit perfect right out of the box. Plus I really dig the fact that I didn't have to pay to powdercoat and thus far, it's held up nicely.

I'm an impulse buyer. Morris 4 x 4 is about 30 minutes away. I'll go there for d-ring isolators and walk out with $1k worth of stuff. With that said, I went looking for Lord knows what and walked out with, yet again more Smittybilt stuff. This time the rocker guard/side steps, the Atlas rear bumper, and Bushwacker flares. Again, super impressed with the stuff. I didn't take the drill out once for the steps. They bolted right up to the mounts with zero modification. The rear bumper looks slick. I'm not too fond of the latch but eh. I'm used to it now. This item I did have a small issue and that's the Jerry can mounts rub the bumper just a touch. No biggie and I don't have any rust holes yet. So eh.

The Bushwacker flares make my Jeep look like it's riding on stock tires. Once I get the money for a decent axle, I'm sure I'll toss on 37's. The flares themselves are nice. A bit of a PITA to install or get lined up really. But I dig them.

I ride with my kids who get crap on the leather and then my dog whose little claws just love to dig in because she's so fat. I was out riding with the pup one day and looking at the fur on the leather, the drool, everything. Again, I ride over to Morris and ask if they have Trek Armor seat covers in stock...with the blue inserts as I was sure they wouldn't. Well...They did. And a few hundred bucks later, my leather is protected but covered up.

I loved the stock wheels but figured it was time to upgrade. I didn't like the fact I was running spacers although I've never had an issue. I didn't want to break the bank either since there's no hardcore rock crawling here in South Florida. However, I definitely didn't want to go with a wheel model on almost every other Jeep I see. So, I picked up 5 Black Rhino Sidewinders with a proper offset.

Almost done! My daughter is begging for the computer...But, I picked up an ARB compressor, mount, and tire inflation kit from Craigslist for ~$200. Figured it was too good to pass up. Not wired up in this pic but it is now. I find myself wanted to just air something up from time to time.

The last piece of this journey...You don't want every little thing I've gotten for this thing do you? Is my Trektop NX. This was installed just yesterday. I've got to say, I miss my hardtop so far because the soft top is indeed louder but I know I'll enjoy it when I take it off by myself versus finding someone to help with the hardtop.

That's it for now. I'm thinking of some fun things to add to the Jeep. Maybe not as pic worthy, such as gears and lockers but it'll get there soon.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looking great so far. I like the Rino's.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moving right along pretty quickly. Great pickup on the arb air. Lucky I missed that one lol. Seems your just down the road from me. Hope to see ya around sometime
Old 04-19-2015, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by budmanm3
Moving right along pretty quickly. Great pickup on the arb air. Lucky I missed that one lol. Seems your just down the road from me. Hope to see ya around sometime
Yeah for sure. I was at the Morris thing yesterday. Drop me a message if there's ever anything going on. I don't know of anywhere to go wheeling except Big Cypress but hate going there alone.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Former Member

Awesome build blue! The jeep really looks nice! Glad to finally see what it's all about! The Evo was sick as well, you've got great taste!

www.overlandoff-road.com
Old 04-20-2015, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue

Yeah for sure. I was at the Morris thing yesterday. Drop me a message if there's ever anything going on. I don't know of anywhere to go wheeling except Big Cypress but hate going there alone.
My buddy and I thought about going to their opening but we ended up having to work this weekend. We are headed up to jeep beach this weekend
Old 04-21-2015, 01:01 AM
JK Super Freak

This is a badass build in it's own right. Super clean looking jeep man, love those seat covers. I actually got my mom getting ready to buy her Hydro 2015 JKR and I'll have to look into those for her birthday
Old 04-21-2015, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Thanks xkid. I didn't know if I would but when they got here, I dug them.

Karmyns. Thanks! I miss the Evo like once/month. It was my "I didn't die on deployment" gift to myself and took some work to get her where she was but I'm happy with the jeep.

Budman...I wish I could hit Jeep Brach. I'm stuck in the keys for work. Not that it's too bad but I'd much rather go do something like Jeep Beach.

505... Thanks! I'm super stoked with the covers. I like my leather but between my kids and my dogs. Blah. But these covers are tough. And it will get some "real" stuff soon. Just trying to piece lockers, control arms, etc together. The fact I just took a $22k/ pay cut doesn't help matters.

Quick Reply: Urmyboyblue's mild build thread...Pic heavy...Long.