Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

WTO Redneck Ram Install

Old 05-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default WTO Redneck Ram Install

I had a few people ask questions about my WTO Redneck Ram Install so I said I'd post some pictures and some info about it.

Jeep specifications:
2011 JKUR
Engine - 6.0L L96 w/6L80E
Weight - 5069lbs (front is 2748lbs)
Tires - 35x12.50x17 BFG KM2
Wheels - OEM 17" with 1.5" spacer
Coils - 3.5" RK progessives that yield 3 1/8" actual lift
Drag Link - OEM - NO drag link flip
Track Bar - Synergy adjustable in factory location
Tie Rod - Synergy chromoly tie rod
Power steering pump - OEM without doing the WTO recommended porting (see their FAQ page at their site - referenced below)

Hydro Assist specs:
WTO Stage II Ram kit
OEM gearbox that was ported by WTO
Hoses - provided by WTO
Mounting tabs - Provided by WTO
Ram - 1.5" ram with stroke set to my steering range (they had me measure this before ordering)

Cooler
- I purchased a PSC cooler system as I already had a transmission cooler mounted so this allowed me to mount the trans and PS coolers on the same mount.
- I have noticed that my engine temps are 3-4 degreesF higher than before at the same ambient temperatures. I had NO overheating issues (engine or trans, can't monitor PS fluid temp) while wheeling in combinations of 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO.

My thoughts:

Install---
- Directions were very clear
- Start by getting the ram side of the tabs where you want them and tac weld them in place.
- Next determine where the tie rod end of the tabs need to be and tac weld.
- Check for clearance without fluid (but with caps off the ram) - I can't stress this enough - check for clearance in every situation you can dream up - sitting flat, right lock, left lock, driver stuffed (then right/left), passenger stuffed (then right/left). It definitely helps to have some help so someone can cycle the steering while you check clearance. When you're SURE you have it parallel with the tie rod and clearance is good, then weld everything.
- Bleeding the system - this ended up being easy for me. I don't know why. Perhaps patience. I filled reservoir and then let it sit for a bit, repeat until I didn't see the level going down anymore. Then with the wheels off and engine off, I cycled the steering and filled the reservoir as necessary. I then put the cap on the reservoir, started the engine for a few seconds then shut it off. Filled as necessary. Then started the engine and cycled the steering and filled the reservoir as necessary until the level didn't drop. Finally, put the tires back on, started the engine and cycled the steering with the weight of the jeep on the tires. Checked a final time for leaks and if I needed to fill the reservoir.

Customer Service
- Matt from WTO (owner) is a great person and very patient and will answer as many questions as you have.
- I purchased back in November and have asked Matt questions from October right up to last week. He answered every question with patience, clarity, and enthusiasm. You get the feeling that he's concerned with ensuring you are pleased and installing the system in a safe and correct way.

Daily Driving
- I don't notice a difference in terms of the speed at which it turns or that it's sensitive. If you don't know it has hydro assist, you probably wouldn't be able to tell.
- I do notice a very SMALL bit of resistance when in a tight spot if I'm at a dead stop and need to turn sharply (like into a parking spot)
- Highway - I've driven it up to 100mph on the interstate and found that it actually makes crosswinds a non-issue now.
- Around town - There's a rough spot on my way to work that I would occasionally hit to check for suspension/steering issues (I also do visual and maintenance checks, but it's always good to do a performance check) like the beginnings of death wobble. The steering wheel stays completely stable over this area now. This is good and bad I guess, in that I now have to rely completely on my maintenance and inspections.

Wheeling
- I drove it 100 miles to Uwharrie OHV (North Carolina) and wheeled there for a day. This area isn't super challenging, but it's a point of reference for me since the week prior to the install I had wheeled the same area under the same conditions. This is rock crawling, no mud... I don't do mud.
- Without the hydro assist, I used my front lockers more as I couldn't keep lines as easily and so would need the front lockers to get me out of the position I put myself in.
- With lockers, I noticed a significant decrease in feeling the need for the front lockers. I could lock the rear and then drive the line I wanted without fighting the steering for that line.
- Certainly this is completely subjective and it may be I could have done the same without the hydro assist, but I think there's some truth to my point.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my decision to do this. I'm only running 35s right now, but I'm building toward running 37s in a way that I get longevity. Some will argue that I don't need hydro assist, probably true; but it's certainly nice to have it. I did this (as others have done) over time. I installed the steering gearbox back in November and ran it with caps. I then did homework on best practices for installing the ram and such. I don't believe I have my optimum setup yet. I now think (as others in other threads stated) that I will end up doing a DL flip ONLY to gain a bit of clearance for the ram. My DL just kisses the ram when I'm turned lock to the driver side and the passenger wheel is full stuff.

WTO FAQ - http://westtexasoffroad.wix.com/wtor#!blank/cuy0

Pictures:
Click image for larger version

Name:	R-Install-1.JPG
Views:	2504
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	646053Click image for larger version

Name:	R-Install-2.JPG
Views:	1336
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	646054Click image for larger version

Name:	R-Install-3.JPG
Views:	1926
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	646055

Last edited by jedg; 05-04-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for this. Nicely written.

How quickly did WTO turn around the steering box? My 2014 is still my DD, so I can't be down for too long. I still nee to upgrade my tie rod and drag link before I do this.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Thanks for this. Nicely written.

How quickly did WTO turn around the steering box? My 2014 is still my DD, so I can't be down for too long. I still nee to upgrade my tie rod and drag link before I do this.
I ordered the entire kit with an already rebuilt and ported gearbox from WTO and paid a deposit (don't remember how much). I then had 30 days to send back my gearbox in their box that they sent the stuff in. The day WTO received my core, they refunded the core charge (via PayPal). This made it easy on me since my down time was completely under my control. You could easily change out the steering gearbox in a day.

As for upgraded tie rod, I think Fusion4x4 is right. Had I realized the synergy will flex, I would have looked at something else (like a Fusion tie rod). That said, perhaps I won't ever wheel hard enough to notice. Additionally I plan on moving to at least a D60 up front (maybe 1-tons front/back) when I return from deployment, so this mounting system may just be for 12-18 months.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info!
Old 11-19-2016, 03:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the WTO ram and i'm very happy with it! Thanks for the install help!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jedg

As for upgraded tie rod, I think Fusion4x4 is right. Had I realized the synergy will flex, I would have looked at something else (like a Fusion tie rod). That said, perhaps I won't ever wheel hard enough to notice. Additionally I plan on moving to at least a D60 up front (maybe 1-tons front/back) when I return from deployment, so this mounting system may just be for 12-18 months.
Howdy - now that it's been a year, you still happy with it? How's the tie rod holding up? I'm getting ready to install this kit this weekend. I did order the low misalignment caps from synergy but I think i'll still need to upgrade my synergy tie rod as well. We'll see
Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass
Howdy - now that it's been a year, you still happy with it? How's the tie rod holding up? I'm getting ready to install this kit this weekend. I did order the low misalignment caps from synergy but I think i'll still need to upgrade my synergy tie rod as well. We'll see
Curious to hear your experience when you do it. It's on my list, and I have a synergy TR as well. Seems like conflicting info in general with some saying the Synergy is just fine, and others saying it's not gonna hold up.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Yep, it's been a year, so here's my feedback.

Hydro Assist - one of the best upgrades I've installed. It's got great manners on road and works like a beast off road.

Your question about the Synergy Tie Rod - Honestly, I'm on the fence. It's held up fine, but take that with a grain of salt as I've been deployed for a while and so it's not gotten a full year of rock crawling exposure (which means once a month rock crawling and the rest DD). I have the misalignment bushing installed and they do keep the tie rod in place.. what I don't like is that it means greasing the TRE much more often. I used to grease everything with each oil change. The misalignment caps don't seal the grease in as well as the rubber boots and so I'm paranoid and grease the TREs more often.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Yep, it's been a year, so here's my feedback.

Hydro Assist - one of the best upgrades I've installed. It's got great manners on road and works like a beast off road.

Your question about the Synergy Tie Rod - Honestly, I'm on the fence. It's held up fine, but take that with a grain of salt as I've been deployed for a while and so it's not gotten a full year of rock crawling exposure (which means once a month rock crawling and the rest DD). I have the misalignment bushing installed and they do keep the tie rod in place.. what I don't like is that it means greasing the TRE much more often. I used to grease everything with each oil change. The misalignment caps don't seal the grease in as well as the rubber boots and so I'm paranoid and grease the TREs more often.
I've had a run in with those low misalignment boots. Ugh. So your concern is basically just keeping the joint clean, and not so much the strength of the Synergy TR from the sounds of it. Seems like I've seen other posts mentioning that the Synergy TR is apt to bend once you start adding hydro, but then others say it's fine. Maybe it's one of those things that it's fine.....right up until it's a problem. LOL. Kinda stinks thinking about having to buy a new TR just to add hydro.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the key is to have the Ram as parallel to the tie rod as much as possible so it doesn't push the tie rod in a direction it doesn't need to go.

I have no issues with mine

Quick Reply: WTO Redneck Ram Install