Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4 lo/4 high

Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
Wow, that reverse seems like a REALLY high ratio. Heck, I guess even the 1st gear seems pretty high. I'd assume that's 'cause the Auto can slip a little to make it seem to be a lower ratio.

Call me crazy, but that's one of the reasons I like the manual. That first gear is basically like an old granny gear. Pair that with a Rubi 4:1 tcase and some 5.13:1 gears and you'll have a crawl ratio that you'll probably never "need", but it'll be a great coversation piece!
Believe me--after the auto's torque converter does its multiplication magic, 1st gear is plenty low. In fact, it seems almost too low to be useful. Supposedly the torque converter more than doubles your crawl ratio.

Trans Ratio x T-case Ratio x Axle Ratio (x 2 for torque converter) = Crawl Ratio

Manual: 4.46 x 4.0 x 4.10 = 73.1
Auto: 2.84 x 4.0 x 4.10 x 2 = 93.2
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

In mu Rubi, I've noticed that most AZ trails are too steep for 4Hi. I do mainly rock crawling and very little mud. Its an auto so I just keep it in 4Lo and keep it under 18mph(even that is a little quick sometimes) so the e discos don't get mad at me...
Old 05-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
I still dont get why the jeep bogs down in sand? And it seems i can't drive a higher speed in 4lo, where in sand the speed is needed. in soft sand i was driving all the time in 4hi and in 2nd gear and the jeep sometimes started to loose power fast, shouldnt it keep spinning the wheels? Thats the thing i dont get. When i watch vids you see vehicles getting stuck but their wheels are still kicking in the dirt? mine doesn't do that, it just stalls down.
In 4 hi you can turn the esp off. Pushing the esp button once disables traction control, (which might be why your wheels don't spin,) or in 4 hi you can stop with the clutch down or shifter in neutral and hold the esp button to turn it completely off, like in 4lo. Of course whether traction control is off or all of esp is off, you still have your brake lock dif. function!!!

O and I agree with the others if you drive an x with 3.21 gears, you will more than likely use 4lo for all offroading, since 4hi first gear even with no gas seems too fast for almost all situations, too rough and have to stay on the brake the whole time. 4lo and shift to 2 3 or 4 if you need faster is the way to go through almost anything even mud, in a (higher gear)

Last edited by Ben; 05-29-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ben
In 4 hi you can turn the esp off. Pushing the esp button once disables traction control, (which might be why your wheels don't spin,) or in 4 hi you can stop with the clutch down or shifter in neutral and hold the esp button to turn it completely off, like in 4lo. Of course whether traction control is off or all of esp is off, you still have your brake lock dif. function!!!

O and I agree with the others if you drive an x with 3.21 gears, you will more than likely use 4lo for all offroading, since 4hi first gear even with no gas seems too fast for almost all situations, too rough and have to stay on the brake the whole time. 4lo and shift to 2 3 or 4 if you need faster is the way to go through almost anything even mud, in a (higher gear)
Yeah i do turn it off and still it does that thats why iam diasapointed, nobody found something to deal with this? i cant climb an incline on first, because i need speed and that would mean that my rpm's would be sky high.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Q8
Yeah i do turn it off and still it does that thats why iam diasapointed, nobody found something to deal with this? i cant climb an incline on first, because i need speed and that would mean that my rpm's would be sky high.

You will do best with the toggle overide mod. I didn't pay attention to your model year, but you may be able to do the "nintendo Contra method" to override the esp. No amount of button pressing will keep the esp shut down in 4 hi at high speed. It wiil kick in again. I think at 25 mph? I suspect the transfer case will be the thing to give up in 40 lo at high speed. I've run mine up to 25 in 4lo In the gears are really spinning in there. Your tranny still has the gearing to run at speed in 4 lo, & your tach will tell you what's going on in that realm.

The default setting annoys me. Since they installed a part time case, the damn thing shoud behave like you are off road & expecting wheels to spin. The way they set it up seems to think owners will be running 4 hi more often on the raod where it's neccesary to have the jeep travelling in the direction the wheel is pointed.
I wish you had to hit the button to engage esp in 4hi. I think that makes more sense for the part time transfer case. If it was quadra track or selec-trac I could see the current set up.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bofer84
wow....yall are totally different then me. I go back and forth from 4hi to 2hi all the time. I live in Fl so 90% of the trails are that muddy goopy stuff. i have a stick in my rubicon, so i use low 5-6th for mud...you want a high gear, not a low gear in mud...low gear just creates to much torque and you dont stay on top of the mud.
Good post.

This is the point that I was failing to illustrait earlier. I was going to 1st/2nd gear in 4hi vs bofer going to 5th/6th gear in 4lo. I'm anxious to check out using the higer gears in 4lo next time I'm out.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
You will do best with the toggle overide mod. I didn't pay attention to your model year, but you may be able to do the "nintendo Contra method" to override the esp. No amount of button pressing will keep the esp shut down in 4 hi at high speed. It wiil kick in again. I think at 25 mph? I suspect the transfer case will be the thing to give up in 40 lo at high speed. I've run mine up to 25 in 4lo In the gears are really spinning in there. Your tranny still has the gearing to run at speed in 4 lo, & your tach will tell you what's going on in that realm.

The default setting annoys me. Since they installed a part time case, the damn thing shoud behave like you are off road & expecting wheels to spin. The way they set it up seems to think owners will be running 4 hi more often on the raod where it's neccesary to have the jeep travelling in the direction the wheel is pointed.
I wish you had to hit the button to engage esp in 4hi. I think that makes more sense for the part time transfer case. If it was quadra track or selec-trac I could see the current set up.
I tried the nintendo thing alot and i cant get it to turn off. I really dont know what to do, i keep telling all the guys ill beat you on any trail you want and now iam afraid i can't since the jeep bogs down as if it has no power at all. Don't know what to do really. I don't want to do the part where when i feel the jeep bogs down i let the clutch in and out really fast to get the wheels spinning and i know that kills the clutch thats why i don't want to do it. I want the jeeps tires to keep on spinning.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Is this a guesstimate of the torque converter's abilities or do you have some sort of reference that says it'll double?
It's just something I've seen discussed on the forum before. I did a Google search for "torque converter crawl ratio" and there were all kinds of references for it.

I believe the Patriot's CVT2 transmission uses torque converters in order to achieve its advertised crawl ratio without a transfer case.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Here's a question that's sort of related to the conversation. Consider it a diversion, not a complete hijack.

For those of you who're saying that the Rubi's tcase low range is too low for sand, if you could have 2 low ranges, what would they be?

More to the point, I'm considering an Atlas 4spd for my Rubi.

For all around uses, you think I'll be better with a 1, 2, 2.72, and 5.44 case or a 1, 2.72, 3.8, 10.44?
Having wheeled both an X and a Rubicon in Moab, I can say that the 4:1 ratio of the Rubicon t-case is really noticeable and a lot better for rock crawling, but at the same time I wouldn't want a transfer case with any lower gearing than that. When you have to gas it to get down a hill, you know your gearing is sufficiently low.

But if I had to choose between those two sets of ratios, I would go with the second one merely for bragging rights. Roll up to some pretty ladies and say, "Hey, I have an effective crawl ratio of 243:1," and they'll be all...

Old 05-31-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryno
Having wheeled both an X and a Rubicon in Moab, I can say that the 4:1 ratio of the Rubicon t-case is really noticeable and a lot better for rock crawling, but at the same time I wouldn't want a transfer case with any lower gearing than that. When you have to gas it to get down a hill, you know your gearing is sufficiently low.

But if I had to choose between those two sets of ratios, I would go with the second one merely for bragging rights. Roll up to some pretty ladies and say, "Hey, I have an effective crawl ratio of 243:1," and they'll be all...

Yeah, the hot babes are always attracted to the man with the most effective crawl ratio.

Quick Reply: 4 lo/4 high