Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4 lo/4 high

Old 05-31-2008, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe

I never realized that chicks were so turned on by lower gearing. Must make a mental note...
At my age you latch on to any small sign of hope you can find.

"hey baby, wanna feel my real low crawl ratio?"

Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the brilliant designers at Chrysler have all but eliminated the use of 4H for 07-11 auto's. Pretty much the only safe place to use it is in high speed applications, over 25-30 mph. If you install an aux cooler, you have a little more flexibility.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

While offroading I always suggest being in 4wd before you actually need it. Who wants to be "that guy" that gets stuck for no good reason. Also sometimes it can be hard getting into 4wd when there is tension on drivetrain.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ruffchem1
While offroading I always suggest being in 4wd before you actually need it. Who wants to be "that guy" that gets stuck for no good reason. Also sometimes it can be hard getting into 4wd when there is tension on drivetrain.
its quicker to get into 4 lo if youre already in 4hi, then you shift to neutral neutral and then 4lo and drive and begin the crawly goodness, i <3 my rubicon, dana 44s and 73 to 1 crawl stock
Old 07-25-2014, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

No rubicon here :'( but I concur
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my situation. Burning Man entrance road is 5mph max strictly enforced. The road is hard packed desert playa with some slippage due to surface breakage from other vehicles. 4WD is NOT needed. Most vehicles on this road are grocery getters and motorhomes. BUT I'd like to keep it at 5mph without having to work the clutch all the time. Would it be safe to drop my 07 Rubi stick into 4Lo and just let it crawl? Would there be any harmful binding?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geospyder
Here is my situation. Burning Man entrance road is 5mph max strictly enforced. The road is hard packed desert playa with some slippage due to surface breakage from other vehicles. 4WD is NOT needed. Most vehicles on this road are grocery getters and motorhomes. BUT I'd like to keep it at 5mph without having to work the clutch all the time. Would it be safe to drop my 07 Rubi stick into 4Lo and just let it crawl? Would there be any harmful binding?
You can crawl in 2hi in 2nd gear. Do it in my jeep all the time in traffic. 2nd gear while rolling, let off the clutch, go. Never have any issues unless i come up on a hill
Old 08-05-2014, 02:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny2565
What conditions should I use 4 low or 4 high? Such as mud, trails, hill climbing, etc. What are the situations where one is preferred over the other? Thanks for any and all comments.
I just want to point out to folks reading this that the answer is going to be different for different JKs. Issues include:
  • If it's a Rubi and unmodded to permit lockers in 4-Hi, you may want to stay in 4-Lo so you have ready access to lockers.
  • If you have modded your Rubi lockers, or have aftermarket lockers, then 4-Hi may be the better option just to avoid a lot of shifting.
  • However, if you have an auto without a transmission cooler, you may want to stay in 4-Lo to avoid the transmission overheat light.
  • If you're going up and down lots of hills, then 4-Lo is better because you won't need to brake as much.
  • Bottom line: 4-Hi is a much easier driving configuration unless you have a need for the lower speeds/higher torque of 4-Lo. And 2WD is even better if the terrain permits because you get much better gas mileage. If you're running around in 4-Lo when you don't need to, you look like a goofball to those who know better.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark, good points.

Since dropping my JK's ratio from 3.21, down to 4.10, and adding a rear limited slip, I find myself doing most of my off-pavement exploring in 2 wd, no problem. Easy steering. Good fuel economy.

If I need more, I've got 4 hi, 4 low and a front air locker...

Guy
Old 08-09-2014, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slangheld
Well, the brilliant designers at Chrysler have all but eliminated the use of 4H for 07-11 auto's. Pretty much the only safe place to use it is in high speed applications, over 25-30 mph. If you install an aux cooler, you have a little more flexibility.
Try a Rubicrawler (from Advanced Adapters). It replaces the dead space at the end of the trans on the '07-'11 automatics and adds a 2.72 reduction. Should make 4-hi a better option and will give you that "wanna see my crawl ratio" bragging rights edge with the girls

Quick Reply: 4 lo/4 high