Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4 Low Rules?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Low Rules?

What are the rules for using 4 Low? when can I use it? i have always used 4 hi and havent gotten myself stuck but i would like to know when i am supposed to use it before i do get stuck. Where i go offroading, i am in an area with sand, some rocks, clay, and did i mention SAnd! Usually the ground is pretty packed except in some areas where it gets a little soft
Old 01-12-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ubergeekj
What are the rules for using 4 Low? when can I use it? i have always used 4 hi and havent gotten myself stuck but i would like to know when i am supposed to use it before i do get stuck. Where i go offroading, i am in an area with sand, some rocks, clay, and did i mention SAnd! Usually the ground is pretty packed except in some areas where it gets a little soft
I took "rules" to be a verb here.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 low will give you more power at slower speeds. Usually most helpful when you need to climb slow and steadily, whether on rocks or on a hill. Low is not the best option for soft sand, since the extra power could end up just digging you in. You should never really need to use a lot of throttle in low, but the extra power will keep you going with less use of the skinny pedal. Low is also good for steep descents, as it will provide compression braking.

Hope that helps.... (and yes, it does rule! )
Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only had my JK in 4wheel low once, basically to make sure it worked OK.. But like has been said, no real rules.. Just like 4 wheel high, only when there is a loose surface, and if you are going very slow use low. I have actually use low on my old YJ in soft sand after getting stuck because I had not aired down..

I dug out the sand from the low points, lowered my tires to 10psi, and put it in 4 wheel low, 1st gear, and gave it NO gas. Just let it idle out. I also always used 4 wheel low when pulling my dad's boat out of the water. Again, 1st gear NO gas and just idle up the ramp.

It is not actually the safest thing to do, but I once forgot to finish straping the boat to the trailer, and just got out and hooked it up while the YJ slowly went up the ramp on its own. it only moves about 1/4 mph.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't use 4 low if I plan on going over 10 mph.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Lightbulb Use 4L More than You think!

This is an interesting thread on a topic that a lot of folks that are relatively new to 4 wheeling should understand.

First, a little about my background ... I've been driving 4x4s since I was twelve around the farm and I'm now ... oh 40ish For the last 5-6 years, I have been a volunteer trail guide for Jeep Jamboree USA and have lead the "newbie" group and this is an issue I see a lot of concern with.

Basically, if you are going to be on a surface off road that you want 4 wheel drive on, and you do not anticipate running continuously above 20 MPH for any length of time, go ahead and shift into 4L. Any other 4wheel drive needs, run in 4H. In the places I wheel in TN, NC, AL, etc., we are mostly on trails and I shift into 4L when I hit the trail head and I shift into 2H when I get back to the trailhead. For a lot of the trails in Moab, I do the same thing. A lot of folks think that 4L is only for slow speed crawling, but it is useful at speeds up to 20 MPH or so. It reduces transmission temps in both auto and manual trannys and prolongs their lives.

Not using 4L does more damage (in general) that using it. For example: last spring, one of my Jamboree participants just refused to shift into 4L except for crossing 2 rocky stream crossings. Everyone else ran 4L from the trail head to the return. I instructed this guy numerous times to run 4L and stay there, but to no avail. Both days, I could smell his clutch complaining and he was having trouble controlling his lurching TJ over small obstacles. On Sunday morning he asked me why his TJ (with 5000 miles on it and just this Jamboree for off road work) was hard to shift and felt "funny" when he accelerated. I explained to him that he had fried his clutch in the two days of trail riding he had been on. Tough lesson to learn, but he just would not listen to me or his fellow jamboree participants.

Sorry for the rant ... but the best rule I can give other than the speed based rule is a paraphrase from sailing: when in doubt, use 4L (in sailing it is "when you think it may be time to reduce sail (reef), you're 30 minutes too late").

A quick read of Mark A. Smith's Guide to Safe, Common-Sense Off-Road Driving available from Jeep Jamboree is a great starting point for folks new to the "sport."

[rant mode off]
Old 01-12-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Wow thanks! This is very helpful, even went to try it out just a little while ago. Haha 4 Low Rules!!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

It just depends for me....i am one of those guys that trys to make it in 2 wheel drive to show everybody up....i know, cool right lol....i dont know why i do, i just do. For the 6speed owners, its a little easier, as we can use 6th and 4 low, which is almost equivalent to 1st in hi range
Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

i agree with using 4L more than people usually do, its just like driving a tractor the lower the gear the easier it is on the tranny and motor, they just don't have to work as hard -- but like was said the 6 speed is easier because you can just put it in a higher gear when on the trail to go a little faster, like 15 mph but in 1st and 4L you can idle out of alot of places 4H and a heavy foot will just break stuff in --- LISTEN TO THE JEEP JAMBOREE GUY, he is telling you this stuff because he has experience and loves the sport, or he wouldn't be out there
Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKSTER
like 15 mph but in 1st and 4L you can idle out of alot of places 4H and a heavy foot will just break stuff in
Yup ... that's why my Jeep is usually so heavy. I carry a boatload of tools and misc. parts to fix rigs on the trail (usually other folks ... occasionally mine)

Originally Posted by JKSTER
--- LISTEN TO THE JEEP JAMBOREE GUY, he is telling you this stuff because he has experience and loves the sport, or he wouldn't be out there
This is true. The trail guides are out there because we love the sport. We're spending our own money (and often breaking our own rigs) getting ready for the event. We work our tails off to make what we hope is an enjoyable experience for all. A simple thanks makes it all worth while.

Quick Reply: 4 Low Rules?