Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4 Low Rules?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a related note, another newb question - I tested my 4WD out for the first time today in the cul de sac in front of my house just to make sure it worked. It seemed fine except for when I was turning around. That's when the steering wheel started jerking back and forth. I assume that's because I was trying to turn around with the wheels locked together and that it doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong. I also assume that's why the owner's manual says its for slick or loose surfaces only. Can anyone confirm my assumption or is that not normal?

Thanks,
Bill

08 Silver Sahara
Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

I use 4lo on the trail most of the time because that's when I can turn the lockers on and off. This was also a big reason I went with the 6 speed, (wife wanted auto), so that I coud use a higher gear at will in 4lo. Alot of the time, I'm in 4th 5th and 6th, 4lo.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by putnam dan
That is normal and a big NO NO - don't do it again your risking breakage
Damn. Now I'm worried. I just went around the cul de sac. Maybe a 100 foot semi circle. Would it be obvious if I did real damage?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drchazz
Damn. Now I'm worried. I just went around the cul de sac. Maybe a 100 foot semi circle. Would it be obvious if I did real damage?
You should be fine, just don`t make it a habit. If you broke something, you`d know it .
Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Hopefully that's the dumbest thing I'll do for a while.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks RMEF

We really do owe a debt to those folks in our sport that take the time and effort to become instructors. These people have a real love of it . It was very nice of you to take the time to go into detail on this topic and altho the use of 4 lo could fill a whole conversation, your response and the additional responses were great. Without becoming long winded, I would only add that long periods of inactivity are none to good for internally lubricated parts. That's one reason why I use 4 lo (transfer case) when ever I have an appropriate opportunity. Also, having gotten used to the nice things associated with the "drive by wire" systems in my last 2 vehicles and now on the JK, I really appreciate the reduced sensitivity in pedal input that you gain by using 4 lo when you are negotiating rocks etc. Along with brake modulation it provides a much easier way to add a little finese to your game. By the way, as with any new sport, finding a qualified instructor will add to your enjoyment and perhaps save some unnecessary damage to your investment.

Last edited by Bruce K; 03-20-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

What is the best way to shift into 4LO?

Everytime I shift into 4LO is grinds.

Any secret tips?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I almost always use 4lo offroad. Often mud or deep snow I find the JK's power to be lacking enough ump to really spin the tries. I have found that 4lo will have ample toque to keep my tires spinning. My friend had a custom built trany for his pickup. It was made rediculously burly to handle his abuse and horse power. He never put it in 4 low becuase his truck had enough horse power to keep the tires spinning and he has a really low t case so he thought it would be too low. Fried his tranny cost him 1200 to fix which was half price becuase he has had so much work done there. He now uses the 4lo that he though would be way to slow and it works better and uses about half as much gas as before. All because he never put it in 4low. I find with the rubi that 2nd gear on my auto 4lo and rear locker on/front sometimes is the best for navigating deep snow and mud. When I put it in high heavy snow or mud would often bog the tires down. Either my engine would work too hard or the constant shifting would case me to loose momentum and get stuck.
What is the best way to shift into 4LO?

Everytime I shift into 4LO is grinds.

Any secret tips?
I try to do it with the truck just barely rolling. I usually do it either slowly rolling down a little hill it must be more of a gradual slope almost unnoticable or by stoping the truck almost completely, then shift into nuetarl then pop it in 4 lo. When I mean slow i mean really slow.

Last edited by Pete799; 03-21-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
JK Freak

you just can't wait to snap something off can you?...I run in 4L on the trails all the time..unless it is relatively level for a long stretch....but then I can still go to 6th..(manual trans)

Quick Reply: 4 Low Rules?