Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4Hi Stuck

Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4Hi Stuck

Hey jeepers, need some help here, i have a 2009 jk rubicon, when im in the 4Hi and want to put the 2wd, the stick gets the 2wd but the jeep get stuck on the 4Hi, and i try to put it on 4Low but can get it down from 4hi, i need to put the jeep like down hill to get the 4lo and then put the 2wd to get the 2wd. Its this Normal? Or somebody with the same issue? What can i do to avoid this?

DRS Rubicon 09 BF Mud 255 Stock
Old 03-27-2015, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It sounds like the shift linkage between the shifter and transfer case is messed up and/or the linkage has become disconnected. Common problem on JK's.

Take it to a shop, or get under there yourself to take a look at the linkage. Remember, use wheel chocks, flat surface, parking brake engaged, have someone to help. When you shift the t-case to neutral, it doesn't matter if the transmission is in gear. The Jeep will roll.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that happen to me twice. The shifter disconnected from the linkage. They finally fixed it properly after the second time. I guess because if it broke again they were going to have to give me a new jeep.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by jk_sea
It sounds like the shift linkage between the shifter and transfer case is messed up and/or the linkage has become disconnected. Common problem on JK's.

Take it to a shop, or get under there yourself to take a look at the linkage. Remember, use wheel chocks, flat surface, parking brake engaged, have someone to help. When you shift the t-case to neutral, it doesn't matter if the transmission is in gear. The Jeep will roll.
^+1

Probably bad plastic bushing on the shifter. Few threads on it.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...repair-177095/

If you really want to beef things up...
715596 : Heavy Duty JK Cable Shifter Upgrade | Advance Adapters

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks to everyone! Gonna check it my self and see if i can fix it. I really appreciate your conments, good luck on the trails this Easter.

DRS Rubicon 09 BF Mud 255 Stock

Quick Reply: 4Hi Stuck