Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4x4 Training/Off-Road Driving Course Recommendations in SoCal?

Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Training/Off-Road Driving Course Recommendations in SoCal?

So after getting out of the Marine Corps and buying my dream Jeep (black 2014 JKUR), my girlfriend and I are taking a long road trip up the west coast and doing some off-road camping. Some of the sites require off-road experience to navigate, beyond just the basics of "hey I like to go up a dirt hill." I have ridden in HMMWVs, MRAPs and MATVs all over God's green earth, but have very little behind-the-wheel experience myself. I am in Carlsbad (near San Diego) right now. Does anyone know of any good off-road driving courses? Or does anyone have some recommendations of how to beef up on my 4x4 skills (i.e. steep terrain, rocky trails, off-road tire changing, how and when to use locking front/rear diffs, and when/if to ever unlock the sway bar, etc)? I want to learn how to push my rig but do it safely. Any suggestions are welcome!

Oh, also, I have had my rig for 18 months now and have resisted the urge to do any modifications. But if anyone can think of anything that is an absolute must for this kind of driving, please let me know.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:30 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LeftCoastTeufel
Does anyone know of any good off-road driving courses? Or does anyone have some recommendations of how to beef up on my 4x4 skills (i.e. steep terrain, rocky trails, off-road tire changing, how and when to use locking front/rear diffs, and when/if to ever unlock the sway bar, etc)? I want to learn how to push my rig but do it safely. Any suggestions are welcome!.
Three books,

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Wheelers-...eler%27s+bible

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Californ...rnia+backroads

Guide to Southern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails: Charles A. Wells: 9780966497649: Amazon.com: Books

The two trail guide books have the same section on off-road driving, safety, techniques, etc.

And two people,

Nena Barlow's Jeep School (AZ) - Barlow Adventures :: 4WD Training

Bill Burke - About Bill Burke | Bill Burkes 4-Wheeling America

Good luck
Old 05-18-2015, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. Keep em comin!

Originally Posted by cfr
Old 06-26-2015, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

I'm a little late to the party here but you should check out www.4x4training.com. This is Badlands Off Road Adventures and the do a ton of different levels of training.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in San Marcos just up the road. Lets meet up. I've been wheeling for over 25 years! Always looking for JEEPers to hang with. I'll PM you my number.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in La Mesa with a 2015 JK. Would love to meet up with you guys and go run something. The best way to learn is to just go try it yourself!

Since we got the Jeep in September or so, we've been out in the desert quite a bit. I've done Oriflamme Canyon, a couple Mines off In-Ko-Pah Rd, Corral Canyon, etc. All those books are great and are helping me target spots to go check out.

If you guys want to do a trip sometime let me know!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe Metalcloak does a class every June up in Hangtown near Sacramento
Old 11-07-2015, 03:54 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Something a little closer:

Met these folks at the 2014 Pomona Off road show. Good Peeps.
Jeep 4x4 School

Also these and other forums are good places to meet up with people.

As for things to to do to your jeep, more like things to put IN your jeep; CB radio, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, tow strap, good set of tools, (wrenches, star sockets, channel locks) can of wd40, tire repair kit, whistle, tire deflator, tire pump. DO NOT go cheap on the tire pump. I always recommend as a minimum pump for stock tire the VIAR 400P. Anything less and you will be standing alone at air up time, not mention probably go through three or four pumps over the life time of the 400P.

As for disconnecting the sway bar? Since you are in a rubi, any time your wheels leave the pavement. Only because it is easy to push the button. Just keep in mind that unless you are in 4 lo, the sway bar will automatically re-connect at the next start up.

Get out there and wheel.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in CBAD as well. If a group goes out post it up, would be interested in joining. After Dec 12th, I get my weekends back (sons done with sports for the fall).
As for what mods to do, more than willing to show you what I did (some where worth it, others not so much).
Old 11-07-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by daxxruckus
I'm in La Mesa with a 2015 JK. Would love to meet up with you guys and go run something. The best way to learn is to just go try it yourself!

Since we got the Jeep in September or so, we've been out in the desert quite a bit. I've done Oriflamme Canyon, a couple Mines off In-Ko-Pah Rd, Corral Canyon, etc. All those books are great and are helping me target spots to go check out.

If you guys want to do a trip sometime let me know!
You may want to check out Carrizo Mtn before it shuts down for the season. Supposed to be amazing views, though you can't really tell by my video, LOL ...

https://youtu.be/IldVX63Z8D4

I can provide .gpx route data--PM me if interested.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Training/Off-Road Driving Course Recommendations in SoCal?