Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

aFe cold air intake???? anyone using it

Old 10-25-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aFe cold air intake???? anyone using it

looking at complementing the high tuck exhaust I put in with the CAI. Anyone running it? Which one do you have?
Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running the afe intake with their oil-free filter (I think it's called the dry s5). I like the dry filter it's easy to clean and maintain. It has a good sound to it when you start out but it will whistle a little when on the road around 45-50mph; it's not enough to bug me but some would not like it. I've had k&n intakes as well as air aids on trucks, I like the afe best.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had it on my 2013 that I just got rid of. I liked and will probably get another. I also had the same exhaust. Felt like the performance was better but it also might just be the sound tricking me into thinking it's better lol
Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running the dry aFe CAI with the throttle body spacer on my 14 JKU. I don't notice a whistle as the previous post states. I love the sound but don't notice as much with my Magnaflow. I like the dry filter over the oil based filters as it so much easier to keep clean. The only issue was that it did not come with longer flange bolts. Once I had the throttle body spacer I have to get longer bolts.

Using the Superchips trail dash I noticed roughly a 10 degree drop in the intake air temp. I don't feel that there is a direct flow of air with the way it sits and just sucks in the engine heat. I am going to get the AEV hood to get more air for the engine heat to escape.

Last edited by djVb; 10-29-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the afe superchip, that came with the cold air intake, works great and gas mileage went up!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

As far as the whistles goes it may only be an issue with the 3.8 V6.....or the throttle body spacer could fix it...... I'm not sure anybody know?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phillips329
As far as the whistles goes it may only be an issue with the 3.8 V6.....or the throttle body spacer could fix it...... I'm not sure anybody know?
From experience it means a small leak. The throttle body on the 3.8 is easy to fracture when installing a TB spacer. I would guess the same applies to the 3.6.

Quick Reply: aFe cold air intake???? anyone using it