Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Arb Magnum Hand Winch

Old 01-07-2020, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tirfors or griphoists, that the ARB Magnum is patterned after, are popular with Land Rover drivers in England. They seem to think attaching the winch to the front bumper is limiting, maybe because backing out of your mistake may often be the best choice. And if two or more are available from vehicles traveling together, you can perform some difficult recoveries. It is certainly more versatile than a bumper winch, but I suppose if your goal is going forward no matter what, front mount is the way. Why not both?
Old 01-09-2020, 05:32 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

My thoughts on a hand winch is that it puts the operator right in line with any parts that may break, a clevis hook, cable, snatch block, what ever, at least with an electric winch the control cable is usually long enough to get you out of line by the working parts, more so if you have remote controls for the winch. When parts are under pressure, you don't want to be kneeling down working a lever when it breaks and snaps back
Old 01-09-2020, 05:49 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Also, you want a pull rating to be one and a half times the weight of the vehicle, at the very least, you aren't only pulling against the weight, but what ever rut, mud or obstacles you got stuck in to start with
Old 01-22-2020, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have owned a hand winch for several years. They are handy to have now and again. And like was said above you are not just limited to being pulled forward using one. Slow and somewhat unhandy, they are like using a Hi Lift for pulling only a little more compact. Slow, but they do work.

I have also owned a Hi Lift Jack since 1973. It has lived behind the seat of pick up trucks, on the front bumper of Land Cruisers, and a cut down one lived in the back of a Cherokee with aftermarket bumpers for years. I am cleaning up my original 1973 jack to mount on my Wrangler at this time. They can be dangerous, but they also are very handy to have now and again.

An electric winch is handy, and normally more powerful than a hand winch. I see no good reason not to have both when off-roading, along with a Hi Lift Jack. More options has never been a bad thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob R

Quick Reply: Arb Magnum Hand Winch