Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Auto vs Manual

Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Final answer, real men drive stick. That is all :d
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, i guess let me re-phrase that. Real men know how to drive stick. Lol. How did i know that would be a sensitive comment?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

each has it's own benefits but I am a manual man. You get into it more. I always thought auto's where for girls anyways. That's what I tell my soccer mom buddy driving a unlimited.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember reading a JK special edition magazine (can't remember which magazine specifically) but they featured some kind of Jeep safari/run. I believe Skyjacker had a jeep there too. They said there were something like 20 some Jk's that showed up maybe more (a fairly large number anyways) and out of those only 2 were manual, the rest were all automatic. Someone walked off with my copy of that magazine so I can't remember all the specifics. At any rate, it seemed that the automatics were by far more popular with the JKers.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

I've never owned an auto vehicle so I'm a little biased here. Iv'e always been a fan of the MT.
If your wondering what kind of trans to buy then think about where your going to spend the most of your time driving it.
I like the MT for driving on road because it is more fun and gives you more control. I personally can't stand when a trans shifts when I don't want it too.
If rock crawling is what you do most of and you don't mind an AT on the road then get the AT.
I like the MT for off road. Plus, the Rubi lockers will stay engaged when you start out in third gear in 4lo. Can't do that in a AT.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dinojeep
Plus, the Rubi lockers will stay engaged when you start out in third gear in 4lo. Can't do that in a AT.
I understand the part about starting out in 3rd when in 4lo, but what's the connection with the the Rubi lockers staying engaged?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I understand the part about starting out in 3rd when in 4lo, but what's the connection with the the Rubi lockers staying engaged?
I just ment that you can get more wheel spin and still have the lockers. If you want the wheel spin of third or fourth gear, your going to have to switch to 4 hi and then you'll loose your lockers. I'm thinking of a mud hole where some wheel spin would be a good thing.

Last edited by dinojeep; 01-25-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

You can't start out in third gear in an auto.
Ya, I get that.
I didn't understand what you meant by " the Rubi lockers will stay engaged when you start out in third gear in 4lo".
I couldn't see any logical connection there.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't start out in third gear in an auto.
.....why would i want to? What possible need would i have for starting in 3 gear for and feeling like the other two gears were just wasted space between dead stop and third gear?

I understand that in a water crossing that in a manual u choose a gear and stick with it so as not to get debris into the clutch plates. Us auto people do not have that concern. We can stop and go backwards and then forward again until we are bored or good and stuck without burning up the clutch. Hell in 4 lo we can even get to overdive from a dead stop in water without penalty.

And like the manual trans guys, when in 4 lo we can kill the engine and start it again while in gear with going to park or neutral first!

Im not here to say that manuals are worthless, im here to say that automatics can get me anywhere that a manual can get me, with less of a workout and no need to take my hands off the wheel to shift up and down everywhere i go.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has four (or more) wheels I can drive the hell out of it, auto or manual. I've owned automantic and manual cars. Now that I'm older and commute in heavy traffic 90% of the time I'm in my Jeep I'm not going to be bothered with a manual. With the new 5spd auto you can toggle shift into any gear and stay in that gear, thus no need for a manual.

Quick Reply: Auto vs Manual