Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Beach driving

Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach driving

I'm planning my first beach driving trip to Cape Lookout NC. Any watchouts to be aware of? I think it looks pretty simple, but do I need to worry about skid plates, etc. I have a stock 08 4dr. I don't want to spend money on unnecessary modifications, but I don't want to pay for a tow truck to take a ferry to the island either.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Don't know much about beach driving, but I do know this... don't go in the water the slightest bit! Otherwise, other members who frequent beaches will chime in...
Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Possible overheating due to trying to overcome low coefficient of friction of the sand and the lack of air due to windspeed hitting radiator maybe.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Don't know much about beach driving, but I do know this... don't go in the water the slightest bit! Otherwise, other members who frequent beaches will chime in...
Is it OK as long as I leave the jeep on dry land? hard to fish without getting wet.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

lower the tire pressure! the lower the better if you dont you will get stuck
Old 03-05-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atc22
lower the tire pressure! the lower the better if you dont you will get stuck
x2 on the air down... and if you start overheating then use 4 wheel low... just don't accelerate too quickly and bury your Jeep.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

lower the air pressure, but don't go crazy. If you are going to be on for a long time, use 4 Low. Follow the ruts of those in front of you for nice smooth sailing when you need it. Try to stay away from the water line when possible, and off of the dunes.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

I do a lot of beach driving here - I'm off to one of the sand islands off the coast this weekend. Key tips I would suggest -

Most important - know the tide times for where you are going so you don't get caught by an incoming tide.
Lower tyre pressure before the beach entry - I run my stock tyres at around 13 psi and have no problems.
Beach entry and exist are the hardest parts due to the very soft sand up high on the beach.
Carry an air compressor and other recovery gear - can have lots of gear but as a bare minimum a 'snatch-strap' /tow rope and a shovel.
Pick a line for the beach entry/exit and stick to it - within reason use plenty of speed.
Try to drive down on the wet sand as much as possible when on the beach as it is real firm - but not into the water as sea water will really cause rust issues. If you stay on the firm sand for any length of time then I would go back into 2wd.
Exercise care when crossing washouts on the beach as these can be much deeper than expected and previous ones do not dictate what the next one will be like. (As my son tried to tell me, "the other 10 have been ok so this one will be as well, stop slowing down" ).
I don't know your local laws but here in AUS most of the beaches are gazetted as public roads so all the normal traffic restrictions apply re speed and alcohol limits - and the police are usually out as well in their 4wds.

Most of all enjoy.

PM me if you want a list of my gear for the beach.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Just re read my previous - two more things that seem obvious but are sometimes missed:

Once off the beach remember to re air tyres back to normal for the trip home; and
Wash off the vehicle very well after the trip - for the underbody I use a garden sprinkler - just set it up under the vehicle and let it run, moving it every 10 min or so till you get the whole underbody done. Make sure you wash out the chassis rails really well as lots of sand will get into them. Rule of thumb is to use plenty of water for the clean up.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

air down and don't turn too sharp.

Quick Reply: Beach driving