Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Beach driving

Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed with all of the above. Someone mentioned tide predictions. This is very important because a changing tide can create washouts under the surface of the sand at the water line. Stay out of that area as much as possible. A washout can swallow your Jeep very quickly. I would also strongly recommend staying out of the dunes. Driving in/on sand dunes will net you a VERY large fine as it is against Federal law. A while back, I posted a little story about a guy that got caught driving in the dunes on Mustang Island (part of Padre Island) in Texas and ended up being arrested for doing what he thought was harmless fun. Don't even get caught messing with the plants/grass on the dunes.
Other than that, have a great time and do some fishing! Post up pics of your outing!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

It sort of depends on how you're set up. I don't air down or do anything special, and I've never been stuck. I've pulled a bunch of people out, though. Main thing is make sure where you are going is legal and if you cross any narrow sections, make sure you don't get stuck out on a flood tide. Sea water floods the roads around my beach house from time to time, so you either drive through it or you don't go anywhere. It's really no big deal, just wash off well afterwards. Road salt up north probably does more damage.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GO WITH A BUDDIE. dont go alone. you dont want to get stuck out there when the water comes in. last weekend i went to topsail with a group of seven jeeps on the way out of the beach i saw a grand cherokee out there by itself. i had a feeling they might need help so we drove to them and yup supper stuck. the tide was coming in fast. man those guys didnt go there prepared at all. dont let that be you
Old 03-06-2012, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cis911
GO WITH A BUDDIE. dont go alone. you dont want to get stuck out there when the water comes in. last weekend i went to topsail with a group of seven jeeps on the way out of the beach i saw a grand cherokee out there by itself. i had a feeling they might need help so we drove to them and yup supper stuck. the tide was coming in fast. man those guys didnt go there prepared at all. dont let that be you
Ron got there about hour later and the Cherokee was abandoned. Half way buried on the beach.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is that the same Cherokee I pulled out earlier that morning? I posted the video on my facebook...lol

Ivan Trugz Cruz
Old 03-08-2012, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trugz
Is that the same Cherokee I pulled out earlier that morning? I posted the video on my facebook...lol

Ivan Trugz Cruz
Yes, the same one!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well there you go more reason to go with a buddie.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been to Cape Lookout,NC couple of times. It is very nice. You need to watch out for the signs on the beach where there is no driving allowed (some sections of the beach are not allowed for driving). Also, although not posted but there is a speed limit for the beach. Make sure you fill up your gas tank before getting on the Island. You will find it is very easy to burn full tank of gas if you drive on the island for few hours. Lowering tire pressure to 18psi gets you better driving experience.

Enjoy the trip!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Turn your overdrive off!!! you wont overheat in 4hi with OD off. Dont turn sharp if you feel like your getting stuck let off the gas go in reverse and re try . take it easy on the brakes dont stop hard. and lower tire pressure about 10-12 psi from your stock tire pressure.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JkTrucker2011
Yeah you definitely will overheat in 4 hi even w od off. And ESP off. It happened to me in the very loose sand at pins corpus Christi. I recommend 4 low slow and steady.
Well its also on how a person drives and for how long, I drive in soft sand oooo 3-5 times a week and have not had an issue in 4hi. long distances in 4 lo are painful. If theres tracks already he should be fine in 4 hi

Quick Reply: Beach driving