Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Best way to clean out the E-Brake

Old 05-01-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to clean out the E-Brake

So, a few weeks ago, I went off roading, and hit some mud puddles. Ever since then, my E-Brake has not been working properly. By that, I mean it hasn't been working at all. I'm thinking it's just dry mud on the brake, but I can't seem to clean it out properly. Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahendrickson
So, a few weeks ago, I went off roading, and hit some mud puddles. Ever since then, my E-Brake has not been working properly. By that, I mean it hasn't been working at all. I'm thinking it's just dry mud on the brake, but I can't seem to clean it out properly. Any ideas?
I will say it's not mud that is causing your e-brake to fail. I will say all you need to do is adjust your e-brake. Mine has a been a pain in the ass since I got it...it has been adjusted so many times by the dealer and myself that I have basically have given up on the useless POS and I am in the habit if just turning it off, leaving it in gear and sticking a rock under a tire.

Good write-up that may work good for your JK.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ake-adjustment
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Self-Adjustment

Is there a way to tighten the e-brake by holding the brake lever and running slowly in reverse?
Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagnumD69
Is there a way to tighten the e-brake by holding the brake lever and running slowly in reverse?
Yes, people have tried this method and I have heard mixed results. Personally, I tried it but no luck, but it is worth a try on your rig.

Just slowly lift the e-brake lever 1 or 2 notches as you reverse slowly and repeat till it tightens up.

Quick Reply: Best way to clean out the E-Brake