Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

On board Co2 air. 5# tanks

Old 11-12-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On board Co2 air. 5# tanks

I am thinking about using Co2 as my air system for inflating my tires. I have no desire to use air tools as of right now. I noticed most people are using 10# and 15# bottles. I have a store that is right across from where I work that keeps 5# bottles in stock and you just go in and exchange the bottles.

I am thinking about getting 2 of the 5# bottles. This way I could run a bottle completely dry. Switch the regulator over to the other bottle and use it. Then when I am at work just exchange the empty bottle. Does anyone see an issue with this plan other than the hassle of changing the bottle out mid fillup and having to carry an extra bottle?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cody0707
I am thinking about using Co2 as my air system for inflating my tires. I have no desire to use air tools as of right now. I noticed most people are using 10# and 15# bottles. I have a store that is right across from where I work that keeps 5# bottles in stock and you just go in and exchange the bottles.

I am thinking about getting 2 of the 5# bottles. This way I could run a bottle completely dry. Switch the regulator over to the other bottle and use it. Then when I am at work just exchange the empty bottle. Does anyone see an issue with this plan other than the hassle of changing the bottle out mid fillup and having to carry an extra bottle?
Thats what i did for a while till i got a 12 volt compressor. Should work fine for you....
Old 12-14-2014, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was going to do the same thing as you but I won a 12 volt compressor. What does your regulator PSI go up to ? I had a beer one that only went up to 90 PSI and then I found a soda one that goes up 150 PSI. an average air toll runs on 100 PSI and air tools are always nice out on the trails. hope this helps
Old 12-16-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

I just picked up a 10# system from Instant Air Supply and it’s great. You could probably get away with 1 5# tank per outing (unless you’re filling up a lot of buddies).
Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

What all is needed beside a full tank for the CO2 setup?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

I bought mine from Instant Air Supply like JJohnson1892 but got the 15 lbs cylinder. It's big. Like really big and I don't have a place to mount it. After seeing JJohnsons 10 lbs, I think I woul've gone with the 10 if I could do over. But with what you're describing with two 5-lbs tanks, there's no reason you couldn't do that. I can put you in contact with the IAS owner, if you would like, and he'll most likely cut you a really good deal.

Edit: Also, I can get 46 tire fills going from 18-28 psi in a 35" tire, before I run out. In a 5#, you would get roughly 15 tire fills before empty. So 3 trips before a refill.

Last edited by JK505; 12-16-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: On board Co2 air. 5# tanks