Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Carry a Fire Extinguisher! aka Burning Bush

Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carry a Fire Extinguisher! aka Burning Bush

Anecdote from Moab a couple weekends ago -

While off roading and generally having a great time my wife comments "hmm must be a camper around with a campfire going" . A few more feet down the trail an alarm goes off in my head "hmm... is there brush burning under the Jeep?!!!".

So I comment "I better check under the Jeep just in case that isn't a campfire".

Sure enough - a big 'ol scrub bush is jammed around the exhaust and burning. I grabbed the non-burning end, yanked it out and stomped on it was about to yell for my son to grab the extinguisher but burrying it under a bunch of sand did the trick. Backtracked to make sure we didn't ignite anything else, etc, but damn....

Don't leave home without an extinguisher. Didn't need it that time but sure glad it was there if I did.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah defanately a good thing to have on the trail or while camping. I used mine the other day in the garage haha. Actually didn't really use it, but it got set off while taking my soft top down. I think my son pulled the pin and then I hit it while messing with the soft top sending a white cloud into the ceiling of the gagage and all over the bed of my pickup. Oops
Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

and a BIG extinguisher at that!! my first silver JK burnt to the ground here in australia.

My original one was a petrol, Now (luckily in australia) I purchased the CRD, and the exhaust is about half as hot... however, the cat converter is about 2ft higher up, instead of under the car.

The fire brigade said the cat sparked the grass fire, which then caught onto the plastic. Within about 30 seconds of "hmmm something smells smokey" to "the window is starting to melt in on me!! lets run for the dam"

The drain plugs in the floor pans had flames coming in. My arm was slightly burnt, and all the hair gone. Once again, this whole thing happend in less than 1 minute. Then we abandoned and took photos. without further adieu,

Here is the pics.

CARRY a 2kg+ extingusher with you at all times when offroad!!!

I keep a piece of one of the old wheels as a reminder... the wheels ended up being molten pools like the Terminator T1000 under the car.

Also, if anyone else ever has their JK burn, remember to wire up the doors and hood etc. The door handles are plastic.... the tow truck driver had 2 doors fall off and the bonnet fly up as he was trying to tow it(on flatbed) off the farm.

enjoy! :(

-Dave
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

YIKES! I sure am glad nothing else ignited based on the above pics!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default HellNo!

That hurt my heart to see it go up like that. Insurance or not, Guess I'd try to buy it back and make it a buggy. I had an extinguisher go off in the back of my capped pickup truck years ago while off roading in the back country. Just ruined all my gear. Tough to clean up. I'm still afraid to carry another one, but seeing your JK go up like that makes me want to get one again. Glad you were able to replace it and didn't burn the down the out back.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep...made the eyes water. Great pictures though.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

All I could think of when I saw the thread title was Moses on Mt. Sinai trying to extinguish the burning bush while God yelled at him.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been thinking about getting a nice Halon type extinguisher. Anyone carry one of those? Supposed to be the most effective against any fire.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IV got a one pound on the rear roll bar.
Im thinking aboutgetting a couple of more
just in case.
Just a reminder also if you have one, take it out once in a while and bang it against the tire to keep the power stirred up.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
I've been thinking about getting a nice Halon type extinguisher. Anyone carry one of those? Supposed to be the most effective against any fire.
Effective yes, available no. Since Halon damages the ozone I don't think you'll find any of these available. There are some replacements that will do the trick! Any small ABC rated extinguisher is useful when you need one.

Quick Reply: Carry a Fire Extinguisher! aka Burning Bush