Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Hi Lift Jack w/ Stock Bumpers

Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi Lift Jack w/ Stock Bumpers

So I have this old Hi Lift I've been having for years & it seems like most people (including myself) were of the opinion you can't use it on the plastic jeep bumpers.

I go to looking & there's a frame member behind the rear bumper & thought if you jack close to the rail at the front it won't damage that flimsy metal bumper.

I tried it, got the wheels of the ground (not in pics), and no damage to the bumpers.

So, I can bring my jack on my next trip & hopefully not use it. Now I just need to figure out where to mount it. I'm thinking of drilling the top part of the front tow hooks & mount bolts there.

Rear

Close up of Rear

Front

Closeup
Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't looked at those points, but they'd likely work in a pinch (when it always seems you need it). I think on your rear bumper, the point you are using is right about where the rear tow hook is.

I've only had one time where I needed a lift (in a friend's vehicle), and the only one at hand was the stocker - and in that case, the stocker could not raise the vehicle high enough to get a wheel up. Fortunately someone else had a 48-inch jack.

The stock one might work 99% of the time, but it doesn't hurt to have a back up for the other 1% when it crops up.

Certainly agree though - the hi-lift is potentially unsafe, and you should not rush to use it (I think we all know this). The stock one might be a safer "first try".
Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used the front stock bumper area with the hi lift. I have a 2.5 in lift and the scissor jack wont work. I also jacked at the front to remove the axle shafts. The metal under the front bumper is also where the factory tow hooks attach.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just buy the jack base that AEV makes. It adds 3 1/2" of lift and a pretty solid base. Works great with factory jack.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cam813
Just buy the jack base that AEV makes. It adds 3 1/2" of lift and a pretty solid base. Works great with factory jack.
x2. I have that and I just bought a hi-lift as well. There is some usage overlap, but there are bound to be times when one or the other will not work -- for one reason or another.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

And theres the ever handy "Lift-Mate" that attaches to the HiLift and hooks to the wheel itself.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The lift mate is a good one unless you need to change the tire and the aev jack base is awesome but sometimes (as previously mentioned) you just need a hi-lift.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
why would you need it with a stock rig? I've used the stock scissor jack on the trails before when my rig was bone stock. I gaurantee you would be a lot safer.

If you are bone stock yea, but i think this is good to know for people who have started upgrading (like me) who may have tires and a lift but havent got a new bumper yet

As far as the safer aspect, im sure it would be safer if you could use a regular jack before hi-lifting the stock bumper. Thats why a new bumper is next on my list
Old 12-15-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by justinstoffregen
The lift mate is a good one unless you need to change the tire and the aev jack base is awesome but sometimes (as previously mentioned) you just need a hi-lift.
Sure ya can change a tire with a lift mate, it just takes an extra step. Jack it up, block the axle with a jackstand, big f'n rock, whatever. Take off HiLift, change tire, jack back up & remove whatevers under the axle. Off ya go!

It can also be used to pack rocks, trees whatever under a sunk tire.

Granted it might not be the "best" option, but sometimes options become limited. I carry one.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I would be concerned about slippage. That could mess up your weekend. Your hands and legs are more important than you think.

Quick Reply: Hi Lift Jack w/ Stock Bumpers