Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Differential breather tubes

Old 07-17-2015, 11:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
When I did Smilin' Bob's kit (that's the correct name) I did keep a copy of the part numbers for everything. So if that would prove useful, OP, PM me an e-mail address and I'll provide.

BTW, for anyone reading this: If you have a 3.6L motor, Uncle Bob's kit, unless they've changed it, is not the optimal solution. That is, they make the same kit as for the 3.8L, and one of the connectors (the large T that is used at the engine a1r filter intake) is better replaced with a Y connector.

Finally, a caution for anyone who extends their differential breathers to the air intake: Learn how to properly fill your differentials, especially if you have aftermarket covers. You do not want gear lube venting into the engine intake because you overfilled your differentials.
Revive the dead! Does the parts list include exactly what I would need to go to the store to build my own kit? Thinking maybe I should do this upgrade just in case.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by auceny

Revive the dead! Does the parts list include exactly what I would need to go to the store to build my own kit? Thinking maybe I should do this upgrade just in case.
The link posted earlier is the best guide to extending breather tubes. Its what I followed and it worked great. No sense buying a kit
Old 07-20-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bob987909
The link posted earlier is the best guide to extending breather tubes. Its what I followed and it worked great. No sense buying a kit
Thanks. Not sure how I missed that link.
Old 07-20-2015, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a writer up on the smiling bobs kit for the 3.8 auto a while back

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...d-pics-255587/
Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
I did a writer up on the smiling bobs kit for the 3.8 auto a while back

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...d-pics-255587/
Thanks. Does 1/4" fit on the stock locations on the axles and transmission? I've seen people say 3/8" and 5/16" and honestly don't know which size would be best.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Does 1/4" fit on the stock locations on the axles and transmission? I've seen people say 3/8" and 5/16" and honestly don't know which size would be best.
I used 3/8" brake hose and it worked great. If you aren't sure then pull the hose and take it to O'Reillys. Make sure your diff is cool before pulling the hose so it doesn't spray everywhere
Old 09-25-2015, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Differential Breather tubes on a 2105 4 door Runicon

This was a super easy and inexpensive mod (under $20). I bought six feet of 5/16 fuel line, two 5/16 vacuum line nipples and four 5/16 clamps. The front differential line was on the left shock tower and I simply pulled the breather cap off, inserted the nipple and added as much line as was needed to bring it back behind the intake manifold inserted the breather cap and attached along the way with zip ties. I found the rear line to be tucked up by the passenger wheel well. I removed the two screws hold the passenger tail light on and used an electricians fish wire to shove down a hole until it came out the bottom. I attached the new 5/16 fuel line to the wire and pulled it back through. I then used the other nipple to splice the old and new fuel line together. Secured where required with zip ties, put the breather cap back on and zip ties the end up in the rear tail light area. This whole process took maybe 30 minutes, it actually took more time to go to the store ad get the parts to get the job done.

I have an automatic and I wanted to extend the one on the transfer case, but there is no need. It is already routed all the way to the very top of the engine.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

few months late on answering u but yes it all fits to stock location just fine
Old 09-25-2015, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

I have the ARB breather line kit.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blueaz15
This was a super easy and inexpensive mod (under $20). I bought six feet of 5/16 fuel line, two 5/16 vacuum line nipples and four 5/16 clamps. The front differential line was on the left shock tower and I simply pulled the breather cap off, inserted the nipple and added as much line as was needed to bring it back behind the intake manifold inserted the breather cap and attached along the way with zip ties. I found the rear line to be tucked up by the passenger wheel well. I removed the two screws hold the passenger tail light on and used an electricians fish wire to shove down a hole until it came out the bottom. I attached the new 5/16 fuel line to the wire and pulled it back through. I then used the other nipple to splice the old and new fuel line together. Secured where required with zip ties, put the breather cap back on and zip ties the end up in the rear tail light area. This whole process took maybe 30 minutes, it actually took more time to go to the store ad get the parts to get the job done.

I have an automatic and I wanted to extend the one on the transfer case, but there is no need. It is already routed all the way to the very top of the engine.
Thanks for the explanation should be the same on my 2015 Willys Wheeler.

Quick Reply: Differential breather tubes