Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Driving on beaches

Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Racer831: You drive on LI in 2WD regularly? I drive at Gilgo and Robert Moses all the time and can't imagine being able to do that. You must have some skills brother
Old 06-15-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure about other areas of the country, but I do not recommend driving below the high tide mark. the water can wash the sand out below the surface creating an unseen pocket that if you get stuck in will require a tow truck to get out of. Saw it happen at one of our Delaware beaches last summer, poor bastard must have thought he was on a t.v. commercial... he sunk to his frame. if your above the high tide mark and you do happen to get stuck at least you wont have to panic as water inches closer and closer.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just dont be that guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeJsQOCXTQk
Old 06-15-2008, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

.... and that's why you stay above the high tide mark
Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I just returned from the Outer Banks. I was down by Corolla where you could drive on the beach. I have a Sahara with stock Rubi tires and I didn't air down at all, I drove all over on the hard packed sand as well as the loose stuff. Not once did I feel as if I were going to get stuck. Do you just need to air down when you are climbing dunes?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haver been on the beach aired up as well.. never got stuck, but the engine really works hard to keep the JK going, when I used to drive aired up, I would use 4 lo and 2nd gear.. the engine strained, and Im sure the tranny was running hot being there was no real wind going through the radiator to cool it off..

aired down, the JK just floats over the sand almost like its packed dirt, less strain on the driveline
Old 06-22-2008, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by EHarris
I used to drive my Ford Exploder all over the beaches out east LI before I moved. I didn't even air down and had no problems (but you should). The jeep should be great on the sand. Just don't drive close to the water, stay in the tracks and keep your foot on the gas and you should have no problems. That is one thing I definitly miss now that I am living here. Have fun.
Out here we can afford our tires, no need to retread using the tarballs of those beaches.

There are plenty of beaches here to have fun on.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default we have

There are many types of sand out there. The really light deep stuff is the tuffest....... and if you are going upslope....I'll bet you a box of doughnuts and a case of beer that you will need to air down. Pick a time that the tise is starting to go out, that way, you don't have to chew your fingernails when you are in the tidal area. That area is usually easier where we are...baja...as it is wet and somewhat compacted.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Air down if you can. Also, don't accelerate or brake to quickly. Only stop in soft sand if you have to. The key to driving in soft sand is momentum. I've been driving on the beach in my area regardless of sand conditions with 2wds and have never been stuck. Just use common sense and don't go near the water.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

A benefit of airing down if you have smallish tires is that you don't rut up the beach. I know a lot of states will slap you with a fine for not airing down... especially if you're rutting up the beach

Quick Reply: Driving on beaches