Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Driving on beaches

Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive on the Outer Banks all of the time. My Jeeps have all done extremely well as long as you let the tire pressure down to 15-20 psi. If you do get stuck, put it in 4Lo and slowly crawl your way out. Do NOT over accelerate or you will dig yourself in. It's much cooler to be the puller than the pullie on the beach. Be smart and have fun, just take it easy and you will be fine.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was just at the beach this weekend. Pismo is famous for having at tleast 18 inches of fluff sand (away from the surf area)...

Just air down (below 15 psi)... build up speed on inclines, know what's on the other side (!) and stay away from fast breaking.

You need to have recovery points and a good tow strap. I needed a pull this weekend, but I also helped out three other people. It just comes with the territory. It's fun! At one point or another, you will need a quick pull, and you will also be asked for help... and did I mention that it's fun!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by treeguy
I drive on the Outer Banks all of the time. My Jeeps have all done extremely well as long as you let the tire pressure down to 15-20 psi. If you do get stuck, put it in 4Lo and slowly crawl your way out. Do NOT over accelerate or you will dig yourself in. It's much cooler to be the puller than the pullie on the beach. Be smart and have fun, just take it easy and you will be fine.
x2 on that. If you are following someone and the guy in front of you looks as if he is going to stop, go around him. Better he get stuck than you. If the sand is packed nice and hard, airing down is not necessary but paying attention and being safe are.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by unlimitedone
I was just at the beach this weekend. Pismo is famous for having at tleast 18 inches of fluff sand (away from the surf area)...

Just air down (below 15 psi)... build up speed on inclines, know what's on the other side (!) and stay away from fast breaking.

You need to have recovery points and a good tow strap. I needed a pull this weekend, but I also helped out three other people. It just comes with the territory. It's fun! At one point or another, you will need a quick pull, and you will also be asked for help... and did I mention that it's fun!!!
I to go to Pismo regularly. 15 psi is where i start when i go out and play. When i first lifted the jk and put on the 33s i drove out sand hwy wiyh out airing down (knowing i was going to end up airing down) with no problem. But going into the bowls and climbing dunes you have to air down. 20 psi is not going to get it done.

unlimitedone how did the grapplers work in the sand?

Last edited by castor07jk; 07-01-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Grapplers are awesome in the sand. This is my fourth jeep and my tire of choice was the BF Goodrich MT. I've also tried the X terrains as well. I went with the Grapplers because they looked overly aggressive (simply to get it out of my system). I knew up front that I'd be lucky to get 35K miles out of them but I now have just under 32K and have plenty of tread life. Again, I was really surprised!

I've been on the beach (packed sand) without airing down and they worked very well. Good floatation. Obviously I air down on the fluff...

I may have a new tire of choice My advice is to keep up with tire rotation and you can get plenty off bang for your buck.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is an old post, but for the sake of those doing a search, here goes. I learned most of this less than a month after my used purchase and 15-20 minutes after hitting the beach. I have an 09 JKU automatic, so some of this wont apply to manuals. After much research it seems the general consensus is to air down to 15-20 psi as a starting point. I would say the posts above agree with that. Use 4L. '07-'11 auto's will overheat in 4H unless travelling 25-30 mph. Related to that, get an auxillary transmission cooler. The stock cooler is mounted to the a/c condenser and is tucked behind a cross-member and the front bumper. It is undersized and gets almost zero airflow. You can also turn your a/c on to force the cooling fan to come on. I believe 4L automatically turns ESP off, so that's covered. Also, turn O/D off. More than a little late to help the original question, but hopefully useful info to others. You can find more related info by searching this and other forums for "hot oil".

You can also help yourself by avoiding things that will make you dig in. Avoid starts and wheel spin, coast to a stop, gradual turns where practical. Bring a shovel to help dig out if you get buried.

Quick Reply: Driving on beaches