Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Fire Extinguisher Recommendation?

Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by CommandoRubi
4 types of fires to be honest
I've seen charts that have A,B,C; A,B,C,D; and A,B,C,D,K.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubicon10
What brand is that? And who make that tail gate storage setup? That's cool
thanks, as far as this set up goes, I just did some drilling with self tapping screws, and some universal mount clamps. Turned out rattle free.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hold on

I wasn't insulting your extinguishers but the OP was
asking advice. When someone might not know about extinguishers sees what others have chosen he might get the impression that would put out something larger than a small trash can and honestly it won't. Yes two small ones are better than nothing but coming from firefighter with 15 yrs experience sometimes people try to help others or themselves with improper equipment and get injured. I wasn't trying to insult you sorry if it seemed that way.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I've seen charts that have A,B,C; A,B,C,D; and A,B,C,D,K.
Yes D being metals such as magnesium engine blocks which aren't easily extinguished by water and K which is not widely used but is for wet chemical fires usually its filled with potassium acetate.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CommandoRubi
I wasn't insulting your extinguishers but the OP was
asking advice. When someone might not know about extinguishers sees what others have chosen he might get the impression that would put out something larger than a small trash can and honestly it won't. Yes two small ones are better than nothing but coming from firefighter with 15 yrs experience sometimes people try to help others or themselves with improper equipment and get injured. I wasn't trying to insult you sorry if it seemed that way.
no worries, jeep on
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

I ended up purchasing one of these.

Amerex B417T - 2.5 LB ABC Extinguisher (Vehicle) 1A:10B:C

It seemed to offer a good compromise between size and capability in a rechargeable extinguisher.
I'm planning on mounting it to the rear roll cage. Are there any issues with heat when storing a fire extinguisher in the vehicle? I pretty much always have my hard top on since I have no place to store it, and it gets pretty hot in there in the summer.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a Halon marine extinguisher on mine. The chemical types I saw leave a crust of stuff over the area where you apply it that must be cleaned-up quickly because they were corrosive and could damage some parts. They are also suitable only for very small fires whereas the Halon can take care of bigger fires using the same weight of extinguishing material. I saw a couple fires where the full typical ABC type was used and did not put off the fire.

I believe they now have the H3R types. Pricey but very good stuff. :-)

Last edited by Sahara_Maverick; 01-16-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
I have a Halon marine extinguisher on mine. The chemical types I saw leave a crust of stuff over the area where you apply it that must be cleaned-up quickly because they were corrosive and could damage some parts. They are also suitable only for very small fires whereas the Halon can take care of bigger fires using the same weight of extinguishing material. I saw a couple fires where the full typical ABC type was used and did not put off the fire.

I believe they now have the H3R types. Pricey but very good stuff. :-)
How much does one of those Halon type cost?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, couple of questions... I want to get something mounted up before I start going out this year.

I'm less concerned with the extinguisher type...for that I'll probably go with a disposable type ABC dry chem.

My biggest two concerns are:

1) Mount and location
2) Size

Rollbar mounts seem ok, but my concern is with accessibility. Does anyone make a mount that goes in front of the passenger (or driver) seat, or has anyone mounted to a rollbar location that's within reach of the driver?

Regarding size, 2.5lb seems less intrusive but a 5lb puts out more fire. Does anyone have a 5lb mounted?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a recent thread on drivers seat base mounted fire extinguishers, vendor is DieTech Off Road,
kit includes fire extinguisher and mounts, very nice, check it out.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Recommendation?