Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

FIRE! FIRE! Are you Prepared!?

Old 12-21-2013, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation FIRE! FIRE! Are you Prepared!?

Hey Guys and Gals when was the last time you checked your fire extinguisher? Last weekend I learned a very valuable lesson and luckily was fortunate enough to have people with me who where better prepared for the fire in my engine compartment.

First, a little background. About 3-4 years ago I purchased the DieTech OffRoad kit because I liked that fact that it mounted to the drivers seat and would be in the best place for an emergency. So fast forward to last weekend out in Borrego Springs Desert for our annual guy run and as I was coming off the trail I lost steering coming around a corner and as I tried to control the jeep Bill (Desert Jeep) came on the CB saying to stop I had boken. As I was slowing to a stop Bill had already stopped and was running towards my jeep yelling at me to get out of the jeep I was on fire! So I jump into action quickly getting out on the jeep and pulling my fire extinguisher from the mount, pulled the pin aimed the extinguisher and promptly realize nothing was coming out! I have to admit that at that point panic did enter into my mind as I realized my other extinguisher mounted to the roll bar in the back of my packed jeep with both a Tuffy Security Deck and Soft top making access difficult.

Lucliky for me David (OVRNUNDR) and Chris (smittycm) were behing me in the caravan and knew from the smoke there was a problem so they came running up with their extinguishers in hand and quickly put out the fire. As it turned out Chris actually had his extinguisher in the passenger seat of his jeep because he didn't have a to put in back in his normal spot. Lucky for me Chris and David both had extinguishers and were prepared.

For me I learned a very valuable lesson of care and maintenance. While I did look at the extinguisher each year (should be monthly) to see if it was still fully charged and in the green but didn't realize there's also sort of a shelf life as well. My advise to all of you is to check out the links below and please make sure you take the time to check out the health of your extinguisher it could mean the difference between driving off after a fire and heading to the insurance agent for a fire loss! In my case had I been alone I doubt I'd have had the time to get to my second extinguisher before the fire had spread and at a minimum would have incurred some major fire damage. Sorry all I know pics or it didn't happen so this one of Chris and Dale (SDBUM) after the fact are the best we could do given the circumstances.

So be safe and take time to make sure your extinguisher is charged, in good working order and mounted in a place you can easily get to without unloading your jeep. Time is off the essence when fire is concerned so it's important to be prepared. I think Bill said it best when he jokingly remarked, "I'm putting my extinguisher in my cup holder!"

So go prepared because you can afford the alternative!

If you'd like more information on Fire Extinguisher care and support or just to get general information please take a look at the following:

What to Look for in a Car Fire Extinguisher

Care and Maintenance of your Fire Extinguisher
Old 12-21-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what caused you to spontaneously combust?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow! that sucks Frank! Glad you guys are all okay and that JK Thang isn't ruined I carry a 2.5lb on roll bar, and a small 1.5 on tail gate.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Maertz
what caused you to spontaneously combust?
The return line from my xmission cooler made contact with the sector shaft wearing a hole in the line and spraying fluid all over the engine. Some hit the pulleys on the serpentine belt and the belt feel off in the road while other fluid hit the down pipe and ignited. Firewall was on fire as well.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by k0260
wow! that sucks Frank! Glad you guys are all okay and that JK Thang isn't ruined I carry a 2.5lb on roll bar, and a small 1.5 on tail gate.
Thanks Kelsey! I won't run mine on the roll bar anymore too hard for me to get to mine in a pinch!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine attached to tailgate. Going to get another somewhere up front soon
Old 12-21-2013, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Thanks Kelsey! I won't run mine on the roll bar anymore too hard for me to get to mine in a pinch!
yeah that makes sense, I'll be re-locating mine from roll bar and tail gate closer in reaching range
Old 12-21-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!?!? Glad you guys were able to get it out. No damage, right? Great idea to look at them often!

I like to keep two on my rig as well... one accessible by the driver/passenger while strapped in and one accessible from the outside.

The outside one is a security issue, but with all the electronics most of us fill our rigs with, it's a good idea to be prepared.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear you made it out alive and that the fire was put out quickly.

I read through the links but didn't see a piece of info I was one given, and was hoping a firefighter or someone who knows about dry chem ABC-type extinguishers that most people carry in their cars can confirm/deny. I was told to give them a good shake monthly or so, as the dry chemical agent can settle and pack down. I know with an old ABC extinguisher of mine, I felt the stuff move around like a solid mass. After a good shake, it just felt like powder inside again. The gauge still read green and the extinguisher was still within its usable life. Good to go! (or was I needlessly shaking the extinguisher?)
Old 12-24-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, shake your dry chemical extinguisher every month or so. Includes the one in the kitchen, the garage, the basement and in the Jeep. Just had this discussion at our local (Montrose, CO) 4 wheel drive club meeting.

Quick Reply: FIRE! FIRE! Are you Prepared!?