Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

first time going off road.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good info!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find I only use 4 high in faster slippery conditions. 4 low in harder trails and 2 high in everything else.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

I am also new to 4 wheeling. I have 2009 wrangler X on the stock suspension. If I detached the sway bars would it be possible for the coil springs to come off the axles? I was also wondering if I should detach the sway bar with a stock suspension set up?
Old 12-04-2014, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTJeeper
I am also new to 4 wheeling. I have 2009 wrangler X on the stock suspension. If I detached the sway bars would it be possible for the coil springs to come off the axles? I was also wondering if I should detach the sway bar with a stock suspension set up?
No your coils won't come off. My brother's JKU is stock and we made our own discos using the stock links. Costs about 10 bucks.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKBud
No your coils won't come off. My brother's JKU is stock and we made our own discos using the stock links. Costs about 10 bucks.
Sweet thanks for the info. Were the discos very hard to make? I'm thinking about making my ow also.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet thanks for the info. Were the discos very hard to make? I'm thinking about making my ow also.
Not hard at all. Go to any hardware store, find the appropriate sized Clevis pin and cotter pin(the one you'd used on a trailer hitch)and two grade 8 washers. Unbolt the bottom bolt of the stock link, slide the washer over the Clevis pin then through the holes. Finish up with putting the washer on the other side then the cotter pin.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKBud
Not hard at all. Go to any hardware store, find the appropriate sized Clevis pin and cotter pin(the one you'd used on a trailer hitch)and two grade 8 washers. Unbolt the bottom bolt of the stock link, slide the washer over the Clevis pin then through the holes. Finish up with putting the washer on the other side then the cotter pin.
Sounds like I'm running the hardware store tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like I'm running the hardware store tomorrow.
I did this recently also. Two 1/2x2 1/2 clevis pins, two 3/16x1 1/2 linch pins, four 1/2 washers. Had to drill my stock links to fit the 1/2" clevis and drill the clevis pins to fit the 3/16" linch pins.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1210570647.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	586787  
Old 12-07-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

So I've got an 08 wrangler x unlimited

From what I'm reading, u can disconnect the sway bars? I've seen on utube that the rubicon has this feature as a switch in the cab? So this $10 method u guys r discussing, that's like what the rubicon can do? I'm a newb please have patience lol
Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpack
So I've got an 08 wrangler x unlimited

From what I'm reading, u can disconnect the sway bars? I've seen on utube that the rubicon has this feature as a switch in the cab? So this $10 method u guys r discussing, that's like what the rubicon can do? I'm a newb please have patience lol
Same result, more inconvenient. Rubi's have a motor that essentially splits the swaybar into two disconnected pieces. For free, you can crawl under your Jeep and in ten minutes remove a couple bolts and zip-tie the ends of the swaybar out of the way. Or, for a few bucks you can make or buy quick disconnects that let you do the job in a minute or two, no tools needed.

Quick Reply: first time going off road.