Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First time off roading... badd smelll help!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time off roading... badd smelll help!

so i went mudding for the first time 3 months after i bought my jeep lol i have a many trany so its really hard on the clutch...

so basically at some points id rev till 3 or 4 and let out the clutch in order to not roll down, as well as going thru mud pits the front of the hood started to smoke? and i started to smell like a burning in the car?

is this okay for the first time off roading?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ght=mud+clutch
Old 08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

you are probably smelling burnt clutch smell. Thats the jeeps way of telling you to lighten up on the left foot...Don't do it to often or you'll fry the clutch. Maybe some practice on some easier terrain and little mud..you'll get it. The "smoke" from the front as you went through the mud was most likley steam..unless it's still smoking I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just put it in gear and go..you'll be amazed. In 4 lo you most likely wont even need to push the gas, just let off the clutch totally and it will move. Practice and patience and maybe a new clutch down the road and you'll be fine..
Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

3 TO 4 THOUSAND RPM's before you let out on the clutch! Not a good thing, like Benny said you shouldn't have to use the skinny pedal to much in 4 low.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Take it easy on the skinny pedal! Keep sidestepping the clutch at 3-4k rpm, and you'll be in the market for a new clutch real soon... Find some low grade hills or trails and learn how to time your clutch/accelerator so that it engages smoothly.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

You have a 2010 which has hill start assist. Don't worry about rolling backwards. HSA holds the brakes for a few seconds to avoid the roll back issue associated with a manual tranny.

Last edited by SWRUBI; 08-21-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

okay sweet! well the problem prolly was that i was in 4 h didnt think i need the 4 L, but yeah thats sweet thanks a lot for the responses il practice. as well as i opend my hood a few days after mudding and to my surpise my clean new engine was COVERD!! is this bad?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	33504_427052307856_506277856_4837296_2413121_n..jpg
Views:	391
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	82953  
Old 08-21-2010, 08:51 PM
JK Freak

welcome to wheeling
Mud on the engine is not too much of a problem, you can wash it out, just go easy on water preshure. Take a look at your local auto store they have special soap for engine cleaning
Old 08-22-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mud will destroy the components of your jeep almost as fast as a heavy right foot and lack of common sense. That doesn't mean that you need to fear it, just accept that getting your rig muddy means that you will have to find a way to get that mud off...and taking it off the bottom of your rig is more important than taking it off the sides and hood.

Start by using the pressure washer at your local car wash. Wash the mud that you can see. Then kneel down next to your rig, and wash the bottom of it as best you can with the pressure washer. This means the inside of the wheels, the axles, the coils, the springs, the bottom of the tub, the frame, the cross-members, the control arms, you name it.

Unless you have a lifted rig on some seriously big tires or are on a creeper underneath your Jeep, this still won't get all the crud off. Step 2 (for me at least) is driving home and putting a sprinkler underneath your Jeep. I like the type that waves a series of stream back and forth continuously. The mud softens up when wet, and the repeated sprays of water will wash away most of it. Move the sprinkler around to make sure that all the various sections of the undercarriage.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by w squared
Mud will destroy the components of your jeep almost as fast as a heavy right foot and lack of common sense. That doesn't mean that you need to fear it, just accept that getting your rig muddy means that you will have to find a way to get that mud off...and taking it off the bottom of your rig is more important than taking it off the sides and hood.

Start by using the pressure washer at your local car wash. Wash the mud that you can see. Then kneel down next to your rig, and wash the bottom of it as best you can with the pressure washer. This means the inside of the wheels, the axles, the coils, the springs, the bottom of the tub, the frame, the cross-members, the control arms, you name it.

Unless you have a lifted rig on some seriously big tires or are on a creeper underneath your Jeep, this still won't get all the crud off. Step 2 (for me at least) is driving home and putting a sprinkler underneath your Jeep. I like the type that waves a series of stream back and forth continuously. The mud softens up when wet, and the repeated sprays of water will wash away most of it. Move the sprinkler around to make sure that all the various sections of the undercarriage.
Your neighboors gotta think your nuts. "There he goes again watering his Jeep"

Quick Reply: First time off roading... badd smelll help!