Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First time off roading... badd smelll help!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nuts or not, I gotta say "watering the Jeep" is one of the simplest and most brilliant things I have ever heard. Perfect way to get all of the crud you can't see outta there.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

WOOHOOO!!! I didn't realize it, but with my last post I am no longer a Newbie!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NormalJeep
Nuts or not, I gotta say "watering the Jeep" is one of the simplest and most brilliant things I have ever heard. Perfect way to get all of the crud you can't see outta there.
I'd reply to this, but I gotta go move my sprinkler. I ended up in a mud hole yesterday that was just a wee bit deeper than I expected
Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Need to try watering my jeep, if I add sun shine will he grow bigger ?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by w squared
Mud will destroy the components of your jeep almost as fast as a heavy right foot and lack of common sense. That doesn't mean that you need to fear it, just accept that getting your rig muddy means that you will have to find a way to get that mud off...and taking it off the bottom of your rig is more important than taking it off the sides and hood.

Start by using the pressure washer at your local car wash. Wash the mud that you can see. Then kneel down next to your rig, and wash the bottom of it as best you can with the pressure washer. This means the inside of the wheels, the axles, the coils, the springs, the bottom of the tub, the frame, the cross-members, the control arms, you name it.

Unless you have a lifted rig on some seriously big tires or are on a creeper underneath your Jeep, this still won't get all the crud off. Step 2 (for me at least) is driving home and putting a sprinkler underneath your Jeep. I like the type that waves a series of stream back and forth continuously. The mud softens up when wet, and the repeated sprays of water will wash away most of it. Move the sprinkler around to make sure that all the various sections of the undercarriage.
That's a really good idea. Your neighbors probably think you are as crazy as me for watering my shops concrete floor the day it was poured (keeps is from cracking so bad.). I just told them concrete was really expensive per yard, so I was growing some more.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

SPRINKLER!! Genius! Why didn't I think of that?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did someone mention the power stearing fluid that can spill out with a lot of rocking and rolling?
Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erol1991
okay sweet! well the problem prolly was that i was in 4 h didnt think i need the 4 L, but yeah thats sweet thanks a lot for the responses il practice. as well as i opend my hood a few days after mudding and to my surpise my clean new engine was COVERD!! is this bad?
Anytime u r off road u should be in 4 low. 4 high is for snow on the highway, thats it. U can go up to 20 mph in 4wd low. There is no need for anything faster off road.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

The sprinkler works great. Do it myself.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bsharp704
The sprinkler works great. Do it myself.
Welcome to the rust

Quick Reply: First time off roading... badd smelll help!