Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First time off roading... badd smelll help!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
Yep. mine is auto, and stinks like crazy until cleaned.. it sorta smells like clutch... but not exactly..
Same boat man ... like i said... sit back wash it and have and itll go away
Old 01-17-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Every time my radiator gets hot enough I smell the mud from the last trail run, I'm going to guess that's what OP was seeing as smoke was water and mud steaming off radiator, I think he posted this months back now though...
Old 01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
Anytime u r off road u should be in 4 low. 4 high is for snow on the highway, thats it. U can go up to 20 mph in 4wd low. There is no need for anything faster off road.
Totally disagree
Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jcs07jk
Every time my radiator gets hot enough I smell the mud from the last trail run, I'm going to guess that's what OP was seeing as smoke was water and mud steaming off radiator, I think he posted this months back now though...
yeah lol thats prolly it thanks bud
Old 04-06-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

EXCELLENT idea with the sprinkler!

Originally Posted by w squared
Mud will destroy the components of your jeep almost as fast as a heavy right foot and lack of common sense. That doesn't mean that you need to fear it, just accept that getting your rig muddy means that you will have to find a way to get that mud off...and taking it off the bottom of your rig is more important than taking it off the sides and hood.

Start by using the pressure washer at your local car wash. Wash the mud that you can see. Then kneel down next to your rig, and wash the bottom of it as best you can with the pressure washer. This means the inside of the wheels, the axles, the coils, the springs, the bottom of the tub, the frame, the cross-members, the control arms, you name it.

Unless you have a lifted rig on some seriously big tires or are on a creeper underneath your Jeep, this still won't get all the crud off. Step 2 (for me at least) is driving home and putting a sprinkler underneath your Jeep. I like the type that waves a series of stream back and forth continuously. The mud softens up when wet, and the repeated sprays of water will wash away most of it. Move the sprinkler around to make sure that all the various sections of the undercarriage.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've also been using the sprinkler for years now. Works good. I use one of those fan ones that just goes back and forth. It has adjustable width. I move it from the front under the motor, to under drivers side, then under passenger side. Finally move it to the back. I end up with a pile of dirt when it's done. I let it run for 10 or 15 minutes each side
Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Transfer Case?

I've noticed that a smell seems to be coming from the transfer case after wheeling for a while on a hot day in 4-lo

Quick Reply: First time off roading... badd smelll help!