Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Florida Sand/Mud/Water Hole Wheelin

Old 04-10-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida Sand/Mud/Water Hole Wheelin

So I just got back from wheelin' Jones Swamp here in Pensacola (youri, or anyone else who wants to bitch about how mud breaks things, I'm in FL, not Montana anymore, there's nothing to climb here, so butt out), and found a MUCH different environment than my old stomping grounds. It actually made me realize how much I'm going to miss MT...my first mistake, wheeled without the top, which I could do in Montana with no mud...here, not so much, needless to say I had to hose out the inside of the Jeep.

Also got my winch its first pull, got stuck five minutes into my ride, water holes in this place are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY deeper than they look!!! Surprisingly, I made it through the hole, but as I was climbing out, the Jeep got stuck in the watery sandy stuff. Fine by me, found out the XRC8 will definitely pull a JKU out of a mudhole with ease.

My second mistake, I think, is that I didn't air down prior to getting in - was going to once I got into the swamp not realizing that the big holes were at the very beginning. Once I got out, I was getting ready to air down, but a big truck came by on 38 Iroks and said he doesn't air down because he wants to ride as high as possible through the water. Got me curious. In mud, water, sand, whatever you want to call this stuff, muddy water, is it better to air down or stay tall? I know that airing down allows to avoid getting tires punctured and stuff, but would it have helped me through the hole? Any thoughts, that'd be great.

By the way, I realized being back there by myself was a terrible idea, even with a winch, and I turned around and bailed...my nostalgia for the mountains of the Northwest makes me ache inside....haha.

Last edited by JDScott10; 04-10-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default P-cola is flat

I havent been home in like 10 years but we had a few spots mostly out by off Blue Angle Parkway for trails down to some beach areas. Some climbing in the pits out in Milton area as well. It has changed alot since the last time.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had mine out I the mud last weekend and learned the hard way to keel the top on. Still cleaning out the interior. But had a great time and only got stuck once.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1524445486.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	148506  
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jn, would love to know where those spots are. I live on nas-p, so blue angel is my backyard.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

[/QUOTE]

Dude the look on her face is priceless!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, she'd never got to climb a rock or anything with me before and we found this tree stump on a dirt road. She had a good time. Happy wife = happy life.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try these guys

http://www.whitesandsjeepclub.org/

and this looks fun

http://boggsandboulders.com/html/directions.html

Last edited by jnjcamp11; 04-10-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Florida Sand/Mud/Water Hole Wheelin