Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Getting stuck in water?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting stuck in water?

I was off-roading the other day and went through a water crossing (more like the side of a stock tank). I got stuck and I had water coming in the inside of the driver's side, and the muffler was under water. I had to cut the Jeep of because I had to get help to pull me out. The truck couldn't pull me out with out me starting the Jeep and trying to drive out as well.

My Question is when getting stuck in water is there a time you should not turn the Jeep back on and drive out? I was kind of worried about hydrolocking the engine. I'm a newbie, so the next time I get stuck in some water I kind of want to know the limits of the JK. ( I don't have a snorkel, hopefully for X-mas.)

Basically I want the do's and don'ts for getting stuck in water (besides not getting stuck or going in it at all).

Last edited by martij3; 05-25-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hydrolocking will only occur if you get water into the intake on the engine. The muffler under water is not a problem.

If you have an auto, it's safe to start anytime while submerged.

If you have a manual, your jeep will start without engaging the clutch if you put the transfer case into 4LO and First Gear on the tranny. Try to avoid clutching while under water. That said, if you can't help it.. clutch and get your components checked afterwards.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

I may be wrong on this, but I was told years ago to avoid turning off motor if exhaust tip is inder water. Engines are not my gig, but iwas told the exhaust will suck air, or water, in before its starts blowing exhaust out. Is this not a true statement?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by easttnruby
I may be wrong on this, but I was told years ago to avoid turning off motor if exhaust tip is inder water. Engines are not my gig, but iwas told the exhaust will suck air, or water, in before its starts blowing exhaust out. Is this not a true statement?
thats not true, just think of all the water that would have to be sucked in or how far it would have to go to get into the engine, plus the second an engine is started there is exhaust pressure going out not a vacuum sucking in thru the exhaust....alot of people think that a snorkel is for the exhaust when I tell them i have one
Old 05-25-2008, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

How 'bout that? Learn somethin new everyday!
Old 05-25-2008, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also remember to consider where your diff breathers are. If they were submerged (shouldn't be an issue on JK, unless it's over 30 inches deep) you may have sucked a small amount of water into the differentials. You should check them after being stuck in water.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

I have another question. I was driving through a puddle of water and the splash caused the engine to shut off. I checked the air filter box to make sure no water was in there. I let it sit for about five minutes and it started up with no problems.
Is there something else I should check besides the air filter, or did I even need to check the air filter? Also what most likely caused the engine to cut off?
Old 05-25-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by martij3
I have another question. I was driving through a puddle of water and the splash caused the engine to shut off. I checked the air filter box to make sure no water was in there. I let it sit for about five minutes and it started up with no problems.
Is there something else I should check besides the air filter, or did I even need to check the air filter? Also what most likely caused the engine to cut off?
i have had this happen 2x now scarey stuff.
seems the air filter doesn't breath well when wet and /or the mass aif flow sensor doesn't like moisture maybe either.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a general rule, I don't drive my brand new Jeep in water so deep it runs in under the door.

Quick Reply: Getting stuck in water?