Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Getting stuck in water?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by easttnruby
I may be wrong on this, but I was told years ago to avoid turning off motor if exhaust tip is inder water. Engines are not my gig, but iwas told the exhaust will suck air, or water, in before its starts blowing exhaust out. Is this not a true statement?
as far as I know engines do not inhale from the muffler they only exhale.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg4a3eJF-NA
Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To prove what? That any idiot can screw up a perfectly good vehicle?
Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
To prove what? That any idiot can screw up a perfectly good vehicle?
To prove nothing, just to have fun. Otherwise why wheel your jeep? Drive it on-road then.

I know some of these guys and they don't screw up their rigs. They are waterproofed and don't suffer any damage from that. They just need to check their fluids after those runs and change it if there's water on them.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Default the WHOLE air box!

Originally Posted by tkob1060
your entire airbox was filled with water? I cant believe your jeep didnt hydrolock WOW.....and all they did was replace the fuel filter since then? How many times have you had it back to them?
i've only had it to the dealer once since the fuel pump replaced. but it was for three days. three long days
i can only hope that there is water somewhere that will eventually dry out and return the jeep to normal. but that's a long shot since it's been over a month.
regarding the water in the airbox, me trying to start the jeep and it not hyrdrolocking... some guys just walk in the light
Old 06-04-2008, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

check the crankshaft sensor for any problems. That would make it shut off and also make it heistate.
As for the exhaust they will have a slight vaccuum when shut off. I wouldn't worry from the size of the muffler it would have to have a shop vac on the exhaust header to do any damage. As for future dealings with water I would by some Dielectric grease silicone and gob it all over the electrical connections and re connect them and stay out of any water over 20" deep according to the manual. hope you figure out whats wrong.

Last edited by Mutts08JK; 06-04-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

One more detail to add. Don't run the motor if the driver's side ass end is under water, up to the gas cap. On the inside of the body, next to the gas filler line, there is an air intake for the evap canister. This sucks air in, in order to clean out the gas fumes in the evap canister. You can see this air intake, if you remove the driver's side tail light. This could suck water into the gas tank.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

im guessing you got water inside the engine and there is internal damage..... somethings bent maybe. my .02

Quick Reply: Getting stuck in water?