Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Have 2 Door JK - No back seat, running out of sturdy tie down locations

Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have 2 Door JK - No back seat, running out of sturdy tie down locations

I love the back seat mounts, they are larger than my TJ and there are a few more, but I picked up a Yeti for Christmas and could use more tie downs for the Yeti plus my ARB bags for the recovery and on board air gear...

The four black loops in the rear near the tailgate are nice, but I wouldn't want to apply much pressure/weight to them, has anyone already come up with some creative solutions?

I'm getting tempted to have a couple of pairs of small steel loops welded further back, but if someone has already found a better solution...

I am very aware of the great Tuffy products, I have their add a trunk, but I need space that can be easily reconfigured for a variety of uses.

matthew
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM
JK Junkie

No suggestions?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I love the back seat mounts, they are larger than my TJ and there are a few more, but I picked up a Yeti for Christmas and could use more tie downs for the Yeti plus my ARB bags for the recovery and on board air gear...

The four black loops in the rear near the tailgate are nice, but I wouldn't want to apply much pressure/weight to them, has anyone already come up with some creative solutions?

I'm getting tempted to have a couple of pairs of small steel loops welded further back, but if someone has already found a better solution...

I am very aware of the great Tuffy products, I have their add a trunk, but I need space that can be easily reconfigured for a variety of uses.

matthew
I dont have any pics handy here at work but, I took some 3/4 plywood cut to fit the cargo area, and added tie downs based on my ARB fridge and cargo boxes and a hi lift jack mount behind the seats for the jack and my Pull Pal.....I used 2 J hooks to attach the wood to the seat mounts.....with wingnuts and a hinged area so i can still access the rear under storage without unloading the whole Jeep if i need something in there.....
Old 04-30-2014, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Found a few pics....its changed a little since i took these but you get the idea. I also bedlined it to make it look cleaner.

Last edited by Grimmjpr; 04-30-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr
I dont have any pics handy here at work but, I took some 3/4 plywood cut to fit the cargo area, and added tie downs based on my ARB fridge and cargo boxes and a hi lift jack mount behind the seats for the jack and my Pull Pal.....I used 2 J hooks to attach the wood to the seat mounts.....with wingnuts and a hinged area so i can still access the rear under storage without unloading the whole Jeep if i need something in there.....

Hey, that sounds great!

I'd really appreciate any photos you could share when you get a chance!

Especially the details...does it all fit together as one if you were to take it out?

Or is it so well designed that you can just leave it in?

matthew
Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grimmjpr
Found a few pics....its changed a little since i took these but you get the idea. I also bedlined it to make it look cleaner.

Thank you, you posted the photos while I was asking for photos!

it looks great! Do you have more details on how/where you mounted it to the Jeep?

did you just mount to the 4 large mounts for the back seat? Do you have a photo of that mount?

Last dumb question, where did find that nice tie down hardware?

matthew
Old 04-30-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you, you posted the photos while I was asking for photos!

it looks great! Do you have more details on how/where you mounted it to the Jeep?

did you just mount to the 4 large mounts for the back seat? Do you have a photo of that mount?

Last dumb question, where did find that nice tie down hardware?

matthew
Its mounted to the rearmost seat brackets, so far just the two j hooks has held everything great without it shifting or moving. The J hooks, washers and wingnuts i got from the hardware store. I did have to cut the J part of the J hooks down slightly and with a little notch cut into the wood i can slip through the wood then under the seat brackets and tighten them down so the wood is pulled tightly to the floor.

J hooks look like this, i cant remember what size i used....

National #N232-918 5/16x3 Zinc J Bolt - Rakuten.com Shopping

The tie down hardware i got from Lowes. The tie down brackets were in sets of 4 and the hardware was just carriage bolts that fit through the tie down brackets and nuts/washers.

PM me and when i get a chance i'll try to get some better pictures.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey, that sounds great!

I'd really appreciate any photos you could share when you get a chance!

Especially the details...does it all fit together as one if you were to take it out?

Or is it so well designed that you can just leave it in?

matthew
I set it up so i could leave it in most of the time, but all i have to do is loosen and remove the J bolts after taking everything out, pop it out and i can put the back seat in if i need to. I didn't want anything too much trouble to install/remove, i didn't want to drill the crap out of the Jeep floor and i wanted to be able to put the back seat in if i needed to.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Here is a picture showing how I added some very strong tie downs, and a link to the thread.
Keep in mind, I made these, but I have seen similar tie downs in Tractor Supply.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-downs-179999/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1333.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	549696
Old 04-30-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a big fan of those adjustable rail tie down systems. There are a few different ones on the market. Something like this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	coretrax1.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	549699

Quick Reply: Have 2 Door JK - No back seat, running out of sturdy tie down locations