Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Have 2 Door JK - No back seat, running out of sturdy tie down locations

Old 04-30-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
I am a big fan of those adjustable rail tie down systems. There are a few different ones on the market. Something like this...

Attachment 549699
I've always like those, and am considering adding them to the sides for the added versatility of holding down some of my lighter objects.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I've always like those, and am considering adding them to the sides for the added versatility of holding down some of my lighter objects.
I never knew those existed...

Can you please give me a link or brand name(s) ?

Does anyone have pictures of that sort of thing installed in their Jeep?
Old 05-02-2014, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I hunted them down, from the picture it wasn't clear enough for me what the name was, but i figured it out!

They come in various lengths, the area in the back of my two door without the backseat is approximately 37" deep and 40" wide.

So i went ahead and ordered the 36" tracks, they come with 4 locking connectors with nice loops for cargo/atv straps etc.

I'll have a working prototype (for lack of a better word, v.01 is more like it) assembled to play with by next weekend.

I am just using some 3/4" baltic birch plywood that i had hanging around anyway and with Jamboree season rapidly approaching, i want to get more organized now!

I'm definitely still looking for examples of what others have already done, i definitely don't believe in trying to reinvent the wheel...

matthew
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

I built up a wood shelf that is bolted down using the loops from the factory for supporting the back seat, which I never use...

I used the Core Trax 1000 track/tie down system and i'm extremely happy with it!

Thank you for posting that picture, I've had the idea for a while but the missing piece was the Trax system...

I posted it over into the build thread section, its still evolving, I posted a bunch of photos.

matthew
Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 PM
JK Junkie

I finally built a plywood cargo organizer with plenty of tie downs, it's still a work in progress...

I am adding more of the Core Trax, the small single tie down ones and the 4.75" ones and I'm moving the 36" ones a bit further apart so I can pack more efficiently...

one of my primary goals is to never make more than one level, and the other key goal is to have everything strapped down but still be fairly easy to get to...

A nice side effect is that with all the Jeep stuff spread out low and strapped down we can travel more easily to the Jeep Jamboree's that require overnight stops to get to!

The only gear I drag into the hotels is the hard case with the GoPro cameras, and it's way easier to separate what is luggage and what is gear...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...o-tray-303298/
Old 05-29-2014, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I never knew those existed...

Can you please give me a link or brand name(s) ?

Does anyone have pictures of that sort of thing installed in their Jeep?
It was adapted from aviation. That track system is how the seats in commercial airliners are mounted.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeepnut14
It was adapted from aviation. That track system is how the seats in commercial airliners are mounted.
Thanks

My aviation background is Cessna 150's, mooney and mostly 1959 hu-16 Grumman Alabatrosses

None of which had such clever adjustable rails.

I've got a nice setup in the back of my Jeep, a pair of the 3' rail, two pairs of the 4.75" rails and two pairs of the single position rail with lots of connectors

It's both organized and easily reconfigured with just a few bolts or screws.

Matthew
Old 05-30-2014, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

I like the plywood with the D rings. spray it with contact adhesive, cover it with cheap black outdoor carpet and put on the rings it will look as good as it functions.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by roundhouse
I like the plywood with the D rings. spray it with contact adhesive, cover it with cheap black outdoor carpet and put on the rings it will look as good as it functions.
That's basically what I did, I just chose the core rail system...

I'm going to paint it after I've lived with it through a Jamboree to see how it is after that.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I like that...

Quick Reply: Have 2 Door JK - No back seat, running out of sturdy tie down locations