Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Have 2 Door JK - No back seat, running out of sturdy tie down locations

Old 06-01-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cascade Wanderer
I like that...
Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it...

A few small changes and additions, one of the best ideas I came up with is that the cooler is the first thing in and the lid opens so that it's most easily accessed from the front seats .

A couple of reasons for that, space is limited and I wanted both quick access to the cooler but still have access to tools/gear etc

My configuration here is for trails and road trips to get to thinks like Jeep Jamborees and places like Rausch Creek

My cooler is a yeti, so properly packed there isn't as much need to be refilling it with ice, plus it's primarily for beverages on the road and beverages and access to packed lunches on the trail

So that opened up a ton of extra space near the tailgate

I'm probably going to be gluing up a second piece of the Baltic birch plywood on the driver/passenger side of the front board...this is mostly so I can have a more rigid surface to mount some of those rubber quick fists

to hold my medium sized shovel

(as compared to the collapsible folding ones

And probably a couple of smaller things

Matthew
Old 06-01-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

For my 08 I built two plywood boxes that were anchored to the floor via slots in the bottom and attachments to the seat mount points. I covered them with gray outdoor carpet and they gave 5 years of good service.

But I always worried about too much stuff being in the boxes and potentially flying forward in an accident and injuring us. The ~45 pound tool box for example. My CO2 tank for example. Etc....

So now we have a 14 and I am thinking about creating a diamond plate floor bolted to some brackets that are well anchored to all three of the seat mount points.

Then I am thinking about capping the back with another piece of diamond plate and building out some good cargo anchors on the floor.

Nothings cut yet but the best management of this back cargo area is an interesting problem.

I want it secure but easily accessible.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Pylot7
For my 08 I built two plywood boxes that were anchored to the floor via slots in the bottom and attachments to the seat mount points. I covered them with gray outdoor carpet and they gave 5 years of good service.

But I always worried about too much stuff being in the boxes and potentially flying forward in an accident and injuring us. The ~45 pound tool box for example. My CO2 tank for example. Etc....

So now we have a 14 and I am thinking about creating a diamond plate floor bolted to some brackets that are well anchored to all three of the seat mount points.

Then I am thinking about capping the back with another piece of diamond plate and building out some good cargo anchors on the floor.

Nothings cut yet but the best management of this back cargo area is an interesting problem.

I want it secure but easily accessible.
I really love this Core mounting system, it works well on metal or wood, but for my purpose wood was just easier to work with, plus I can reconfigure the whole top side of it with an electric screw driver

matthew

Quick Reply: Have 2 Door JK - No back seat, running out of sturdy tie down locations