Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Heads up for good price on a PLB

Old 05-27-2014, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads up for good price on a PLB

I wasn't sure which area to post this, so I picked this one....

If anyone wants to get a personal locator beacon I posted the link below:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-2881-...con-P2954.aspx

The unit on sale is the newest one and the cost is $249 (until May 31st).

If you type in FREEG at check-out then you get free shipping as well.

Also, there is a $50 rebate, link:

http://www.acrartex.com/media/132792...4_w_rebate.pdf

If you don’t know what a PLB does, here is the link:

NOAA - Search and Rescue Satellite Aided Tracking - Emergency Beacons

A PLB is a device that use purchase and ONLY use in an actual emergency! There are NO subscription fees and the system is run by the US Air Force.

I have taken a Wilderness 1st Aid course by a well respected SAR Leader in the state.

He said that a Spot device has a poor track record for reception as the Spot system only has 30 satellites overhead.

I researched this and I would not depend on a Spot to save my life. A Delorme In Reach is on the Iridium (Sat phone) system with 70 satellites overhead and has a much better reception rate, plus you get a message if your help signal was received (Spot doesn't do that). The problem is the Delorme $300 a year subscription AND $349 equipment initial purchase. For that money, you should just get a Sat phone.

If you go in the ‘bush’ often without phone service and just want a rescue device, then a PLB is the way to go!

If you want a communication device with rescue ability, consider the Delorme in Reach.

I just ordered the PLB as I’m often in the ‘bush’.

Quick Reply: Heads up for good price on a PLB