Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

High Lift comparison

Old 12-24-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default High Lift comparison

Just curious if the Extreme 48inch is really worth the extra $17 right now on amazon compared to just the all cast 48inch?

I really don't see me ever needing the attachment, but I guess you never know. Opinions?
Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the extreme. We were in a bad situation and we're glad my buddy had one. Piece of mind.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think 17 bucks is to much to spend for piece of mind. On the other hand, maybe a better question would have been," How many people carry a hi lift and haven't used it".
Old 12-27-2015, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by xkid
Get the extreme. We were in a bad situation and we're glad my buddy had one. Piece of mind.
Originally Posted by dahreno
I don't think 17 bucks is to much to spend for piece of mind. On the other hand, maybe a better question would have been," How many people carry a hi lift and haven't used it".
Yeah the piece of mind is a good thing. I just hate the mounting options for the two door, although I leave the back seat out and can use the roll cage as an option.

I mean the stock jack can work just as good on these things (obviously situation depends) using the strap method around the axle if need be.

Ill probably pick up the extreme then and just be done with it. With all of this recovery gear, I need to find some lighter bumpers to reduce overall weight.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mhockey9090
Yeah the piece of mind is a good thing. I just hate the mounting options for the two door, although I leave the back seat out and can use the roll cage as an option.

I mean the stock jack can work just as good on these things (obviously situation depends) using the strap method around the axle if need be.

Ill probably pick up the extreme then and just be done with it. With all of this recovery gear, I need to find some lighter bumpers to reduce overall weight.
I toyed with where to put mine First I put it on the front bumper mounted on the bull bar. Then I wanted to mount it below the rear bumper but that would make it a clearance issue plus if its under mud it won't be any help. The hood was not an option because of my light bar. Then I was going to buy a rear hinge bracket but I did not want more weight on the hinge because I already had RotoPax on there. Then I decided to go with the side mount. Since then I have been happy I don't even know its there because it lines up with the pillar and it balances the snorkel so I'm finally happy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Rear.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	633099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Before Christmas 2015.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	633102  
Old 12-29-2015, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the Extreme and love it. Have used it many times just to jack and work on Jeep. Also used it to winch out of a stuck twice, including time when an F250 got stuck trying to rescue me. I ended up winching myself out off of his stuck truck, driving around him, and then tugging him out after several hours of using the jack to lift each tire so we could put stuff under to build up ground. The attachment makes it so easy to hook up chain, and I've even used it to clamp something i was gluing at work when we didn't have clamps handy. Plus, it's Extreme! ;p
Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess ill pick up the extreme. Yeah I'm not really a fan of the side mount in front of the drivers door.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Junkie

I guess ill pick up the extreme. Yeah I'm not really a fan of the side mount in front of the drivers door.
You know if you can just get the spreader thing separate? Looks like its on there with a couple of wing nuts.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
You know if you can just get the spreader thing separate? Looks like its on there with a couple of wing nuts.
Im sure you can, I haven't looked.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:41 PM
JK Junkie

If you don't like the driver side mount they make a passenger side mount as well. I just like the fact that the lock tumblers set to your Jeep key and I don't have to worry about someone taking off with my Jack while I'm at the store. The mount does not interfere with door functions or mirror functions. I'm actually the only one in my Jeep club that has one mounted like that. Most people opt for the hood or Hinge. To me getting it off the hood would just be a pain in the ass but the rear mount is not bad.

Quick Reply: High Lift comparison