Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How to use a D-ring and strap? Newb question...

Old 10-17-2010, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to use a D-ring and strap? Newb question...

So I've been reading all the various posts for the last several months, but somehow certain basic facts have escaped me. So if you don't mind spending a few moments to enlighten the new guy ...

1. How to actually use a D-ring if you don't have mounts on your bumper or hitch.

I've seen various recovery kits for sale that include D-rings. But how/where would I hook one up if I don't already have one? If I already have one on my bumper or hitch, then why would someone include them in the recovery kit? As far as I can tell, the pin on a D-ring is meant to go through a particular attach point and if you don't have one, the D-ring doesn't do you any good? So why do all the kits have extra D-rings - to allow for breakage?

2. Proper method for hooking up a recovery strap? (the stretchy kind with no metal hooks).

So I've got the stock tow hooks on the front and attach point (looks like a large eye-bolt) on the rear of my Jeep. Assuming for the moment that I'm the person that is doing the recovery (probably not likely given my inexperience), I would just hook the loop through the attach point? What about the front, just put the loop over the tow hook? If I'm the one being recovered, does the same apply?

My motivation behind all this is to have some sort of a clue before I find out the hard way. I'd like to be reasonably prepared to participate in extracting myself when necessary, so I'm looking at buying a recovery strap. No winch yet, so no need for a snatch block etc. I'm also anticipating getting called by my neighbors or coworkers to help them with their vehicles stuck in the PA snow this winter. Which begs the question about where to attach on a non-Jeep vehicle. Everything I've read says to attach to the frame or else risk severe damage to the other vehicle. But if you don't have a hook, how do you do this? (or perhaps you don't and just leave it to the professionals).

Thanks!
If I'm attaching to someone else I need
Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 AM
JK Newbie

Good post and very helpful reply! I was thinking about these same issues recently.
I now feel as though I have a bit of understanding on recovery
Old 10-18-2010, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also, read this thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...r-gear-writeup

It may not answer your question directly, but it is an excellent overview of recovery gear and it's uses...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I read in the 4 Wheeler's Bible by Jim Allen that the best way to hook up

a strap using a shackle is by using a web-type shackle like the one made by crosby
instead of a D-ring shackle.

this way the strap fits nicely and even on the shackle and there is no "scrunchy" effect which weakens the strap's loop.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BagOfDoorknobs
So I've been reading all the various posts for the last several months, but somehow certain basic facts have escaped me. So if you don't mind spending a few moments to enlighten the new guy ...

1. How to actually use a D-ring if you don't have mounts on your bumper or hitch.

I've seen various recovery kits for sale that include D-rings. But how/where would I hook one up if I don't already have one? If I already have one on my bumper or hitch, then why would someone include them in the recovery kit? As far as I can tell, the pin on a D-ring is meant to go through a particular attach point and if you don't have one, the D-ring doesn't do you any good? So why do all the kits have extra D-rings - to allow for breakage?

2. Proper method for hooking up a recovery strap? (the stretchy kind with no metal hooks).

So I've got the stock tow hooks on the front and attach point (looks like a large eye-bolt) on the rear of my Jeep. Assuming for the moment that I'm the person that is doing the recovery (probably not likely given my inexperience), I would just hook the loop through the attach point? What about the front, just put the loop over the tow hook? If I'm the one being recovered, does the same apply?

My motivation behind all this is to have some sort of a clue before I find out the hard way. I'd like to be reasonably prepared to participate in extracting myself when necessary, so I'm looking at buying a recovery strap. No winch yet, so no need for a snatch block etc. I'm also anticipating getting called by my neighbors or coworkers to help them with their vehicles stuck in the PA snow this winter. Which begs the question about where to attach on a non-Jeep vehicle. Everything I've read says to attach to the frame or else risk severe damage to the other vehicle. But if you don't have a hook, how do you do this? (or perhaps you don't and just leave it to the professionals).

Thanks!
If I'm attaching to someone else I need
The D-ring really has two functions.
1. If the vehicle has tow hooks that are a solid loop it allows the use of the tow strap that also has a solid loop by connecting the two together.

2. If you are in a situation where the safest point for extraction (level ground) is too far for your strap it can be used to attach another strap using the closed loops and D-ring.

If I have to help someone that does not have tow hooks I carry a chain and a small hook and have them attach it to their own vehicle so if it gets damaged they are the ones that did it. Hope this helps clear it up a bit. I am sure there are more ideas out there, the two I mentioned are just the two main ones we used them for when running with the club in cali point mugu 4wheel drive club.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

in the kits they usually come with a couple straps, a snatchblock, and a shackle(d-ring.)

shackles are probably my favorite piece of rigging gear because they can be used for so much.

im not sure the extent of your rigging gear but shackles are mainly used in a self recovery with a winch. such as when you use a tree saver. never choke a sling or synthetic onto itself that cuts down the breaking strength down to 75% so go around the tree and then shackle the two ends together and then pull on the shackle and now your tree strap, etc. is now 200% of its straight pull rating.

also i have used them on the factory tow hooks. especially on the tj where they are sharp hooks to prevent it from destroying my sling so i put a shackle on the end and then slip the shackle onto the hook. but always have the D part of the shackle on the hook and the pin on the sling.

and i think it was mentioned but if you search rigging gear writeup i wrote out alot more info youd probably find interesting.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. The comments helped a lot. I think my next step is to hook up with an experienced group and watch some of this in person before I attempt anything. I'll continue searching the forum's as well, sounds like I might have missed a couple of write ups.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by genesbro
2. If you are in a situation where the safest point for extraction (level ground) is too far for your strap it can be used to attach another strap using the closed loops and D-ring
You should never attach 2 recovery straps together with a D-Ring shackle.
If one of the straps should fail, then the shackle could be propelled back in the direction of the Jeep that it is still hooked on to. It will go through most things in it's way.

Here are some Do's and Don'ts...
h t t p://www.tektrek.com.au/images/4WD%20RECOVERY_How%20to%20join%20recovery%20straps .pdf
Old 10-19-2010, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on not hooking a snatch strap to another strap with a D shackle... check this vid out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR22oP1WRtY
That is the shackle embedded in the tire!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Where I come from we don't leave anyone behind! Didn't say that was a common practice, you do what you gotta do to get your buds home!

Quick Reply: How to use a D-ring and strap? Newb question...