Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How To Winch Backward

Old 12-16-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts
Default How To Winch Backward

So, you've gone out by yourself and gotten into a fine mess. Now you're stuck, and the only realistic way out is to go back the way you came. But, your winch is on the front of the Jeep, not on the back. So what do you do?

Well, if you have the right gear and anchors in the right place, you can use a front-mounted winch to pull yourself backward. it takes lots of gear and pretty much ideally spaced anchors, so this is really more, "Gee whiz, it really works!" than practical. But, in case you want to bet a beer with your friends, here's how it's done ...

You'll want three snatch blocks, and tree savers to run the line correctly. And it takes a lot of line--if you opted for that 12K winch with the shorter, thicker line, you may rue that decision.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reverse Winching.jpg
Views:	4502
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	662918

And here's a demonstration of it. Bear in mind that the vehicles in front and back are just anchors, and the engine was off in my Jeep for demo purposes (normally you want your engine running when winching so you'll have power steering and brakes).

https://www.facebook.com/4WPTulsa/vi...9126208499419/
The following users liked this post:
TrailBadger (01-31-2018)
Old 12-16-2016, 06:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The reason this works is actually a great demo of the use of a snatch block to increase pulling power. Basically, since you have a snatch block on the rear with the line doubled-back to an anchor point, it has twice the pulling power of the single line out of the winch. So there is force to pull you backward. And, since the line on the back of the Jeep is unspooling twice as fast as the line on the front is being reeled in, you have line to spool in while actually rolling the opposite direction you'd think. If that doesn't make sense, then magic. :-)
The following users liked this post:
TrailBadger (01-31-2018)
Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried reverse winching when I had no clue what I was doing, it didn't end well.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Here it is
https://youtu.be/_4tI3HtgdCY
Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Great, now I've got to buy a couple more snatch blocks.

Thanks, Mark, this is really good to know!
Old 03-18-2017, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The reason this works is actually a great demo of the use of a snatch block to increase pulling power. Basically, since you have a snatch block on the rear with the line doubled-back to an anchor point, it has twice the pulling power of the single line out of the winch. So there is force to pull you backward. And, since the line on the back of the Jeep is unspooling twice as fast as the line on the front is being reeled in, you have line to spool in while actually rolling the opposite direction you'd think. If that doesn't make sense, then magic. :-)

Yep, this is cool... and I'll have to go with magic...
Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

such WITCHERY

Quick Reply: How To Winch Backward