Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

I think I need a dog.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I need a dog.

I was reading threads about Jeep owners having their dog(s) going on trails with them. It almost seems like a staple in jeeping. An intern at my job made me feel inadequate this morning saying... "you're a jeep owner and you don't have a dog?!"

So.... Now I am contemplating getting a dog. Anyone have thoughts on this? Am I crazy getting a dog as a trail companion?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

If you are ready for a dog get a dog, but be ready they will change your life!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Getting a dog and riding around with him in the Jeep is something that should be thought about in lenght before acting upon it.
Have you ever had a pet before? If not i wouldnt rec. a dog goin on trail runs with you.
What type of dog were you thinking about? Certain dogs are extremally hyper and may not make a good trail riding dog. I have a pug (hyper to say the least) but since he was a puppy ive trained him to ride in the jeep, even when the doors are off. Its hard work and should not be taken lightly.
A dog is mans best friend for sure but in return you have a responsibilty to weigh all the pros and cons before excepting that responsbility. Dont make a decision based on some1s opinion of what you should have cause in the end the dog will suffer for it.
(this is Urlacher my trail riding buddy!)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-815593559.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	279117  

Last edited by EarlyJk; 02-17-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Raiderfan001
Want a dog because you want one? Sure.

Need a dog because you have a Jeep? No.
Have to agree with this.. We just ended up getting our second dog near x-mas.. Its been great, but also a lot of work. They love the summer with the top down but our GSD is a hyper dog and drives me crazy at times. Also, I now have zero room to pack stuff. looking at a roof rack for the summer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	LC1.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	279121Click image for larger version

Name:	JKLulu.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	279122Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110807_223515.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	279123Click image for larger version

Name:	CM Annivt__090..jpg
Views:	734
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	279124Click image for larger version

Name:	Copper 27..jpg
Views:	733
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	279125
Old 02-17-2012, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Ditto to everyone's comments. A dog should be considered as a lifetime commitment, not an accessory. They take lots and lots of time and lots of money to care for them properly. But with that being said... they are worth it 10x over!!! I lost my 13yr old labrador last year to cancer. Godiva adored being in the woods with me backpacking in her younger days. I acquired my jeep after she passed away, but I still keep her tags with me in the jeep - because I know she would have LOVED riding in the jeep as much as I do.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G520
I was reading threads about Jeep owners having their dog(s) going on trails with them. It almost seems like a staple in jeeping. An intern at my job made me feel inadequate this morning saying... "you're a jeep owner and you don't have a dog?!"

So.... Now I am contemplating getting a dog. Anyone have thoughts on this? Am I crazy getting a dog as a trail companion?
Are you married? Have any kids? You might think about the whole picture of owning a dog! Labs are good dogs, and make great companions and they are easy to train.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default Going to the Dogs

My wife and I got our first dog (Cindy - golden retriever) after our second child's 10th birthday. We are both animal lovers but wanted to make sure the kids were a bit older and could appreciate what dogs have to offer as well as the inherent responsibilities that comes with them.

Like many have said they require a great deal of time to train, feed, groom and just everyday care for them. Not to mention the cash needed for the initial purchase - especially purebreds, vet visits, food, toys, treats etc.

Having said that, I would not trade the benefits we have enjoyed by having our dogs for anything. There is something to be said about coming home after a crappy day and having your best friend greet you like you've been away for a month. After our golden died, we got a purebred boxer - Katy - and this is how I was greeted each and every day I got home. Our current dog is another female boxer - Izzy. She travels with me everywhere including work everyday. She even came to Florida at Christmass and was a model pet for 25 hours of almost non-stop driving - both ways. She is loved by everyone, including office staff, customers and my employees. We don't go far without her and our lives have been enriched because of her.

So yeah, if you want a friend to give you unconditional love and affection and are willing to give the same back in return, then go ahead. But not if you just want an emblem or to be one of the gang. Eventually it will wear off and in the end the dog will suffer. There are far too many pets given as gifts without enough thought put into it that were returned to the shelter. Don't be another part time pet owner.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

A dog is a really big investment in time. Consider it carefully. A bored dog is a problem dog. Especially a smart bored dog like a German Shepherd. Otherwise, go for it. Big dog + gun = home security. Female dogs are much easier to master.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a Pembroke welsh corgi & she's a real hyper dog but as long as she's in my lap while im driving she doesn't move an inch. Thats not always a good thing when your driving & she's standing on one of your arms so she can see out of the door. But I agree with everyone a dog is a big responsibility & you need to do research into what kind of dog will work for you. Big dogs are good but take up tons of space little dogs are usually really hyper but sometimes people think your a dissuade for having one. Its all personal choice just do some research & be ready to have a life changing event.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jgerhard
A bored dog is a problem dog. Especially a smart bored dog like a German Shepherd. .....Female dogs are much easier to master.
This is so true.. my GSD (f) was a ton of energy, combined with the second dog we've now got her on a great schedule of rough housing with her "brother" and family walks.. She is an awesome security system though, the house next door has been robbed twice..ha.

edit: nice avatar Murder... great angle!

Last edited by rdubb1031; 02-17-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: I think I need a dog.