Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

lift ,wheels and tires??

Old 03-12-2016, 05:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk2010Sahara
Ya I have been researching for months now lol
If you're really not going to be doing anything crazy off road or in the rocks this is a suggestion. Might look into a budget boost with shock extensions and adding wheel spacers to clear a good size 33" tire.

You'll retain stock geometry, get enough lift for a 33 very easily, and won't have to worry about drive line angles and such.

Not bad for a few hundred bucks and a couple hours install time. Best part is you will have cash left over to set aside and stack up for what you really want later on.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

How big do you think I should go?
Old 03-13-2016, 02:44 PM
DJ1
Former Member

....and that is the $1 Trillion dollar question? lol

you get 33's, next it'll be 35's. You get 35's, next it'll be 37's. I'm on 37's and I really hope I can restrain myself to going to a 40 lol.

If for any reason you think you'll get a 37" tire and you plan to keep your jeep, save yourself a lot of headaches and $ and save your pennies for at least a solid 2.5" lift kit. Preferably with triple rated springs at the minimum. Go 3.5" if you think that realistically you might change out and upgrade your stock front axle. Just my 2 cents.

In the meantime, if you really want to get a 33" tire to fit well, go with the prior mentioned advice of getting the cost effective budget boost, etc. Then from there, start saving $$ on the side and keep telling yourself "soon I will be there" to help you resist the temptation of folding in and getting a crappy 2.5" or 3.5" lift kit.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Go Big or go home... J/K

It all depends on your budget. If you go 37's Your going to have to do a lot of upgrades if you want to have a reliable Jeep. 35's are the sweet spot in my opinion. All I did was do a 3.5" lift upgrade my Axle Shafts. Now my weak spot is the Ring and Pinion. But a New Ring and pinion is cheeper than a new carrier assembly and Axle shafts so I say strip away.....

This is Just my opinion others will say other things best thing to do is educate yourself and make some Educated decisions then the only one you can blame when its not right is yourself.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 03-13-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Ya no kidding! I just have no clue what to get or what's better
Old 03-15-2016, 10:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Ya no kidding! I just have no clue what to get or what's better
From your questions, the best advice any of us could possibly give you is to ... take a few steps back from the credit card and continue researching.

What is your actual budget? And think past the initial cost of the lift! Depending on height, you could be looking at driveshafts and other odds and ends also.

Decide on the tire size you want to run. After that, look at a bunch of gearing threads to find out just how much you 'think' you are going to hate the lack of power, and just how expensive it will be to pay someone to slap new gears in. Then re-evaluate the tire size given the new information. (You have a 3.8? When you are reading posts on gearing, take note of the engine and transmission of the person replying. You should probably try to ignore replies from people with a 3.6, and/or whichever transmission you don't have.)

Once you have a tire size in mind, start deciding on a lift size - and factor in whether you are staying with stock flares, chopping the stock flares to give more room, or removing the flares and going to flats. (with more space in the wells, you can get away with a shorter lift)

One thing that may help you is just to look at a few thousand pictures. Down in JK Show & Tell you will find some huge pic threads with just about any combination of lift and tire size you can think of. Use this search string, followed by what you want to find, in google or yahoo or whatever search engine.

site:www.jk-forum.com

ex.
site:www.jk-forum.com show 33's
site:www.jk-forum.com show 35's 2.5"

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...your-33s-9979/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...-149091/page2/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...5-lift-330636/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...h-lift-211773/
Old 03-16-2016, 06:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gears

If you get gears you might as well do the axle shafts while he's already there... Save yourself the labor down the road. You have to slide them out partially to get the carrier out anyways so its a no brainer in my opinion. But the it all boils down to the fund issue again.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally, I think the best way to go would be a good quality 2 or 2.5" kit that is complete with correction and such, I used the Mopar 2" kit that I believe is primarily Teraflex. Then you add a 1.25" Teraflex body lift over it. The suspension lift will get you over 2", with all of my crap on my JK, I am at 3.75" height increase measuring garage floor to lip of factory fender flare.

Today, I am still running the stock 32" Willys/Rubi BFG MT, but I just ordered $8500 of junk to facilitate a change to 37" tires. In the next couple weeks my parts should all be here, and I'll start throwing wrenches and turning parts

I can't wait to get pictures up of my JK on 37x13.5x18 STT Pro tires! It's something I have planning for, for about a year. I've gathered the funds to do a wholesale change of the front steering starting at the sector shaft to the tires in an attempt to keep the reliability and road worthiness similar to the stock tires on the Dana 30. Everything is going away.

But if your doing mild trails and only playing offroad a couple times a year, like mentioned above... a "budget boost" 2" spacer lift and shock extensions is found to make many many Jeep Wrangler owners quite happy. I know that if I go in the parking lot here at work and look at the half dozen or so Wranglers, I'm the only one not running a spacer based lift. Even the 3 Rubicons out there are on spacer lifts. There is no shame in that, not everyone is a hard core rock crusher!
Old 03-16-2016, 11:11 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

... What do you think would be a good setup? For daily driver and some trail riding?
Originally Posted by sa29560

If you're really not going to be doing anything crazy off road or in the rocks this is a suggestion. Might look into a budget boost with shock extensions and adding wheel spacers to clear a good size 33" tire.

You'll retain stock geometry, get enough lift for a 33 very easily, and won't have to worry about drive line angles and such.

Not bad for a few hundred bucks and a couple hours install time. Best part is you will have cash left over to set aside and stack up for what you really want later on.
This ^^^^^^ for most things short of hard core rock crawling, unless spending money on mods won't affect your ability to spend money on trips. Tires are critical--choose wisely--and bear in mind that many run all around the country on 33s. (Full disclosure: I run 35s. But have run 33s in the past, including all over Moab).
Old 03-16-2016, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

I would like to run 35s with a good lift! I also want to go flat fender because of clearance and the look.

Quick Reply: lift ,wheels and tires??