Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Lockers or no lockers?

Old 10-07-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockers or no lockers?

So I somehow bent an axle but that is a different subject.....while I am installing front and rear cro-molly axles and doing a 4.56 regear should I go ahead and do the Eaton E-lockers. I dont really plan on doing rock krawling or anything super insane, but I do not know of any other situations where I would need them. Please gimme some input and advice.

Side note: I am thinking about setting up for overland but most of that isnt crazy trails right......
Old 10-07-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are pulling apart your axles, I say you might as well instsll some kind of locker. Can't hurt other than your wallet and you never know when you may need them. Lots of people like ARB, eaton and even Detroit. But I think a selectable like the eaton or ARB would be best for you. If you do ARB, you can install on board air which gives you another benefit so....
Old 10-07-2014, 04:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
If you are pulling apart your axles, I say you might as well instsll some kind of locker. Can't hurt other than your wallet and you never know when you may need them. Lots of people like ARB, eaton and even Detroit. But I think a selectable like the eaton or ARB would be best for you. If you do ARB, you can install on board air which gives you another benefit so....
I second this. Lockers are great in all kinds of situations. You will be surprised where you can go without lockers but when you get to that limit ie one tire slipping it's great to lock in and pull right through.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

So what are the pros and cons to lockers? I know they turn limited slip into straight axle but I dont know very much about them.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keeps all four wheels spinning so let's say you are high sided in front left and right rear. With open Diffs and LS you will only have one front and one rear wheel pulling. If they are the low side wheels and not touching the ground you aren't making the obstacle. If you had lockers you would flip a switch and all four wheels will pull so the high side wheels will pull you through.
Just one case.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go on you tube and you'll see several videos explaining and demonstrating the advantages of having lockers. Better to have them and not need em,Then to need em and not hav em
Old 10-09-2014, 10:59 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
3X on installing at least one locker (rear) if you are pulling apart your axles.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

The limited amount of time I've owned my JKUR I can say the lockers have gotten me out of a few jams. Mainly the rear.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can say i use my lockers ever time i go out they are very worth it. They are also not just for rock crawling. You will be amazed where all they are helpful.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Freak

I mostly do what many would consider easy trails and mild off-roading. Thats what I got the Jeep for, camping and such with the family. That said, Ive seen even mild trails become very difficult in winter months with snow and ice. Going up hill on a rutted forest road with ice and 6 inches of snow becomes much easier when the lockers are engaged. Thats not to say I couldn't have made it with out them, but it certainly made it easier and gave us reassurance that we wouldn't be walking back to camp. I say if you're in there working already and you have the extra money, just do it.

Quick Reply: Lockers or no lockers?