Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Looking for some off roading...any ideas?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM
LGX
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some off roading...any ideas?

Hey All,

I'm looking to do some off roading for the first time. I've never really done any up to this point. My 09 Wrangler X is stock, base model with no upgrades. I'm not looking for anything ridiculous, ie no Rock Crawling. Just some cool amatuer to moderate off road driving. Dings and scratches are no biggie, but I would prefer to keep the jeep in one piece.

I live in Los Angeles so I'm looking for places nearby, and by nearby I mean some where is southern California, a couple hours drive is more than worthwhile.

Any ideas on places to check out? I prefer the desert to the forest. I would prefer places that are more isolated if possible, definitley no crowded touristy places. If anyone knows of an area that would combine off roading with any sort of ghost town that would be stellar. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy one of those Charles A. Wells guidebooks. That will give you a huge amount of ideas. He has easy to hard trails in all his books. There is a SoCal one.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Ya definitely get one of the Charles Wells books. Up by Frasier Park is Hungry Valley OHV area which has a 4x4 practice area with easy to hard obstacles. There is also Rowher Flats OHV which is by Santa Clarita.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a very easy and very fun trail just northeast of magic mountain. I think it is called rower or roher flats, not sure of the spelling of the thing. It is up past a power plant and overlooks a lake. You might check out the socal section of this forum for the exact location.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...turday-June-11

Here you go I haven't been there for about 12 years but it is a pretty neat place. You can go on that date and have lots of friends to wheel with.

Last edited by genesbro; 05-04-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is their a Charles Wells book for Texas? Cause if so that would be AWESOME!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Nothing for Texas. Except for Big Bend (National Park and State Park), it's all private land.

Quick Reply: Looking for some off roading...any ideas?