Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Auto input

Old 10-05-2015, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3.21 2.72 combo goes everywhere happill with the third pedal. Couldn't imagine crawling with an auto.

My clutch howwever, is eagerly waiting for the gears to arrive...
Old 10-30-2015, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Manual trans all day. I'm just used to them!
Old 10-30-2015, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like the idea of a manual, but go with a auto. KOH and most off road racers all go with autos. They are faster shifting, and with auto stick you get manual control. Just my op

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-30-2015, 06:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I did Moab last year with a manual. It was a blast and I had no issues on any obstacle, hill, or challenging terrain. It was loads of fun. I'd order the manual again if I bought a new Jeep today.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

I prefer manual... particularly because it gives me full control of RPMs.

When it's cold outside (20F or lower) I like to keep my shifts at lower RPMs and gentle to give the transmission time to warm up.

In 4LO 1st gear I can pretty much stand on the brake and not stall the motor.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

I grew up with manual CJ, manual YJ and manual TJ. Now I drive nothing but automatics and I love them. To each their own. Whether you drive an auto or manual they are all still JEEP

Get what you like and drive it like you stole it!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:09 AM
JK Newbie

I went with an auto and don't regret it at all... These newer autos are supposedly pretty tough compared to the autos used in the older Jeeps.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JRJKUS
... KOH and most off road racers all go with autos. ...
I've always thought that is a horrible reason to buy an auto. They're out to win races, and the rules allow autos. When a future off-road vehicle can analyze the route, steer it, applying brakes and gas to minimize time spent on it, you can bet your sweet bottom they'll run that, too, if the rules don't prohibit it. But will that be fun to drive? If you like driving, get a manual. If you're just along for the ride or you're planning to win some races, get an auto.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If its a DD

If you Drive it everyday in traffic. I say Auto especially if you live in places like San Francisco or Boston with stop and go on hills. Not saying I cant do it but stop and go on hills is annoying the Hill Assist works preventing you from sliding back for 2 seconds but its still annoying.

Since my Jeep is not a DD and a Garage Queen I drive a manual for the "Fun" factor.

Most people have boats where I live. I Have a Jeep. Most Boat guys Joke "B.O.A.T." (Bring On Another Thousand)
I tell them to (Just Empty Every Pocket)

Manuals force you to be a better driver on and off the Road. If you can do a Trail with a Manual Jeep you will have no problems Jumping into a Auto Jeep and do the trail. Ask an Auto driver to Jump into a manual and do the same trail your going to have mixed results some will pull it off while others will struggle or just pain not be able to do it.

Tell me I'm wrong....
Old 03-27-2016, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I say if you plan on driving in traffic still go with the manual. It keeps me engaged and I find it fun. Of course on the trail the same is true!!

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto input