Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Auto input

Old 07-06-2015, 06:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's funny that the Auto guys on the trails are not the ones struggling to get over an obstacle with out stalling out. If anything it's the Manual guys needing the bypass. For the Auto guys the hard obstacles feel like the bypass, and if that's what you meant then I stand corrected. But if a challenge is what you're looking for then just remove the driver side tire before attempting the trail.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Personal preference for certain. Both function on the rocks really well, there are the issues with shifting a manual in deep mud/water, and getting gunk on the clutch face, but that's about it as far as I know.

I have a manual, and I love it! I wouldn't have it any other way. It is a lot of fun, especially in the rocks (the little bit that I actually get to get out there with it). Keep in mind, gear ratios make a difference as well. A manual Jeep with 4.10s will perform much differently (better) off-road than a manual Jeep with say 3.23s. As well as transfer case ratio. The Rubi transfer case being extra low makes the manual act basically like an auto in 4-LO, where as the other T-case might make it more difficult.

I also feel that all drivers should have to learn stick though. I'm currently teaching my wife how to drive it. I think if there were more manual transmissions out there you would have a lot more people paying attention to what they are doing while driving. It would be nice.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Auto here. I drove a '58 Willys with the stock T90 for 20 years; I may never buy a manual again.

Technically, I think an auto makes the rest of the drivetrain last longer. No stalls, no jerking on the U joints, the engine is always within it's power curve, etc.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this on the interwebs today.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/bmw-m-...180000506.html
Old 07-06-2015, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes! Here we go! Maybe this time we'll solve it!
Old 07-07-2015, 04:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My JK (auto) is my daily driver, I had a G8 GXP that was stick and drove it daily, after that, I SWORE I would never drive a stick for a DD again.

That being said, I have never driven a stick Jeep. My G8 was a short shifted, spooled clutch sports car, so I am certain the experience is different.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

On the trails I definitely prefer auto.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I like stick. Been driving them almost exclusively for 50 years. They are lots more fun. Off road, I'm sure autos are easier. But if you want easy, just take the bypass. ;-)
I agree. Just got back from Moab. I didn't have any issues. Went with 2 others. They had automatics. All jeeps are equipped similarly. Did everything they did and then some.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Just brought home a manual a couple of weeks ago... I did not have manual vs. auto high on my priority list when I was shopping. I saw advantages to both. I learned on a manual (no auto's in our driveway as a 16 yr old) so it's familiar territory. In the end - I found what I was looking for and it happened to have a stick. I do not regret it at all.

Here's the way I see it so far...

Upside has been - less $, my wife doesn't drive a manual , it's fun and I am more engaged in driving.
Only downside, as a daily driver - there are times when I wish I didn't have to mess with it. It's usually when I am thinking about something else or am drinking coffee in the AM on the way to work... certainly petty crap.

Interestingly, driving around town really has pointed out to me how much crap I was doing that had absolutely nothing to do with driving. It's been a good reminder to me to keep my attention where it should be - on the road.

I have my first offroad experience coming up on Aug 1st and I suspect that it will be like when I learned to drive... the manual will be more difficult for the newbie. If I stall or fail - I will just try again... I will eventually figure it out. Since I am in it for the experience - it's cool with me.

Last thing I will say... it's a dwindling skill and I really do like some of the responses I get when I tell people that it's a manual transmission and no power windows. Have a buddy at work who had never driven a manual transmission and he ordered a JKU with a manual just to learn... I applaud him.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

My YJ was a stick and while enjoyable to cruise around I really prefer my auto JK when on trials. I can concentrate more on what Im doing. Just my opinion

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto input