Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Moab

Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moab

Heading to Moab anything in particular I should know?

Do you even wheel bro...?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Iv not been. But elephant hill, top of the world and steel bender are what iv been told I HAVE to run when Im there in september.....oh and skid plates....

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends
Old 06-11-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Pick up a copy of Charles Wells' Moab guidebook before you go. Detailed maps and info on what to see on most of the popular trails.

Elephant Hill is a great way to visit Canyonlands Needles District-- but it's a long way there and back. Something like 80 miles one way. White Rim Trail is much more accessible. Nothing technical, but awesome scenery. Plan an out and back--that is a hundred mile trail if you run the whole thing--best done with a backcountry permit and campsite reservations.

Fins and Things is incredible fun. And right next to town. Poison Spider Mesa will give you new respect for what your Jeep can do.

City Market: Hang around there in the morning if you need someone to run with.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Pick up a copy of Charles Wells' Moab guidebook before you go. Detailed maps and info on what to see on most of the popular trails. Elephant Hill is a great way to visit Canyonlands Needles District-- but it's a long way there and back. Something like 80 miles one way. White Rim Trail is much more accessible. Nothing technical, but awesome scenery. Plan an out and back--that is a hundred mile trail if you run the whole thing--best done with a backcountry permit and campsite reservations. Fins and Things is incredible fun. And right next to town. Poison Spider Mesa will give you new respect for what your Jeep can do. City Market: Hang around there in the morning if you need someone to run with.

Just bought that. What is the camping situation look like?

Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Pick up a copy of Charles Wells' Moab guidebook before you go. Detailed maps and info on what to see on most of the popular trails.

Elephant Hill is a great way to visit Canyonlands Needles District-- but it's a long way there and back. Something like 80 miles one way. White Rim Trail is much more accessible. Nothing technical, but awesome scenery. Plan an out and back--that is a hundred mile trail if you run the whole thing--best done with a backcountry permit and campsite reservations.

Fins and Things is incredible fun. And right next to town. Poison Spider Mesa will give you new respect for what your Jeep can do.

City Market: Hang around there in the morning if you need someone to run with.
Quoting so I can find this later

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends
Old 06-11-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

In wondering one day Mark will come out with a book/ DVD. I would buy one.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RubicAn11

Just bought that. What is the camping situation look like?

Tons of camping. There is a KOA in town. BLM land, which most of the area is, is full of campsites. Canyonlands and Arches have front country camping. Canyonlands has backcountry camping (secure permit 90 days in advance for popular areas). Fins and Things is a recreational area with campsites right along the trail.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Enjoy! Please report back and let us know how the jeep did!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Don't go out alone.

Very quickly you can be farther from civilization than you think and get into trouble.

Try to find others with vehicles in your vehicle's caliber to tag along with.

Have a trail plan and stick to it.

Be respectful of others using the trails (hikers, bikers, ATVs); wave and ask stopped people if they need help. We often hand out bottles of water to bikers who have underestimated the dryness of the desert.

RESPECT the trails, there are large drop offs and cliffs. If you don't know what over the 'top', walk it first.

If going between May & October, take 3 times more water out with you than you 'think' you need.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Camping there is varied and depending on the time of year it can be limited. If this is your first time going and you don't have a buddy then just running the regular roads and seeing the sites might be what you're looking for. The area is vast and you can spend days in just a small portion/area leaving so much more to come back and see. Even with family who live and work there for decades they still talk about places they never have been. Number one rule is having plenty of water coupled with a good plan which includes others knowing where you're going as well as reliable equipment and communication. You do it unprepared and you may never want to do it again if you still can. Do it prepared and you'll dream of the next time you can go again!

Quick Reply: Moab