Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

more capable with no lift

Old 10-17-2014, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
2" is your limit if you don't want to change LCA. the vehicle is very capable stock. Your first consideration is traction (tires, lockers). Next, technical ability. You don't have to lift the vehicle. In all honesty, I did my lift for extra clearance and looks. Many of the trails I hit, the extra clearance helps in the Colorado Rockies. It really depends on where you plan to wheel. Rock crawling? Clearance is good. Over landing? Might be a piece of mind thing but not necessary. I see Subarus on the same fire roads I see heavily modded jeeps on. The only thing many of the Subarus have done is put on a more aggressive tire.

In the end, your rig. Whatever you do, research, buy and install what works for your intended purpose. Raising it will affect handling. I disagree with Dirtman on he better handling part. My stock suspension on my JKUR was a little sketchy on wash board roads. It handles better now. Higher center of gravity? Yes. But, I think we all know Fox has some of the best shocks out there and by far better than the stockers on any rig. And the spring rate I have, is cushier than the stock springs I pulled. As for geometry, I just made certain those axles were pushed out a bit more. No wandering, no tracking, and very, very little pull to the left.

I would lift again, but I also hit some solid 4x4 only rails. I think a vast majority, wouldn't even attempt many of the trails we have out here.
Im really debating on just the teraflex leveling springs since I have the soft sport ones now and my winch caused a little sag already let alone if I ever get a bumper. And I like the looks of a little higher stance but nothing crazy, and ive been thinking about the fox 2.0 shocks for awhile now
Old 10-18-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black_14_jks
Im really debating on just the teraflex leveling springs since I have the soft sport ones now and my winch caused a little sag already let alone if I ever get a bumper. And I like the looks of a little higher stance but nothing crazy, and ive been thinking about the fox 2.0 shocks for awhile now
a friend of mine did 4.5" back spaced wheels, set it on 33's and did no lift. Completely changed the look of the vehicle in a good way.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
I love how this has gone from a "most capable without a lift" thread to a lift thread...
I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame too because I like the idea of minimal to no lift setups. This is really going to confuse anyone searching threads . . .

My vote is to only read Dirtman's posts!
Old 10-19-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

It seems like most spring lifts will net more than advertised, and im not sure how I feel about the pucks yet. Any opinions on them?
I have a 2010 Sport with a 2" spacer lift and 35" Mud Grapplers. It didn't handle bad at all in that state.

Added JKS adjustable track bar and what tiny bit of play or bump steer might have been there is gone. Thing handles great on road, and with the 35's, cut fenders, and disconnects it's way capable offroad. I take it to Bundy Hill every couple of weeks and it's basically walked through everything I've attempted. I haven't done rock crawling but otherwise I've far from babied it. Only real downfall is the 3.73 gears, but I 4lo it on the trails and it's a stick so it works on road for now too.

Anyway, morale of the story is that it handles so well off road and on that a lift other than the pucks isn't even on the radar until after some other things.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love how this has gone from a "most capable without a lift" thread to a lift thread...
LOL! I love how that is your only contribution to this thread.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

As slow as possible as fast as necessary. .. unless a buddy calls you a pussy
that's pretty accurate lol
Old 10-27-2014, 08:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by catahoula
LOL! I love how that is your only contribution to this thread.
Haha. Guess you're right. It was just an observation. I ran without a lift for 2 years or so. Dragged my belly over enough stuff but did not want to go overly large with the tires since it is a daily driver, so I lifted with the 2.5" TeraFlex coil with extensions, then went with Bilstein 5100s after a bit. Even though the tires are not much bigger than what I had pre-lift, I now clear where I used to scrape.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:26 AM
JK Junkie

Haha. Guess you're right. It was just an observation. I ran without a lift for 2 years or so. Dragged my belly over enough stuff but did not want to go overly large with the tires since it is a daily driver, so I lifted with the 2.5" TeraFlex coil with extensions, then went with Bilstein 5100s after a bit. Even though the tires are not much bigger than what I had pre-lift, I now clear where I used to scrape.
Pics please!
Old 10-28-2014, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by black_14_jks View Post
Ive lifted several vehicles ive owned in the past and have tossed around the idea of doing the same with my jk, but for now I have decided against it. I like the way it handles and I hate how the steering geometry goes insane with even the smallest lifts, and I love the fuel economy im currently getting. So, my question to you guys is: what can I do to make my jeep more offroad capable without a lift kit?
Originally Posted by jadmt
a 1.5-2" lift is not going to mess up your steering geometry or hurt your handling, certainly not make it insane.
"I hate how the steering geometry goes insane with even the smallest lifts"
That's a myth.

On my previous Jeep, I could change between 0" and 4" lift (it had air springs). With 4" it didn't behave any worse than with 0". Part of the good overall ride and handling quality was due to the air springs, and steering definitely didn't suffer.

The current JKUR, with 4" lift, behaved and steered well, no flaw vs stock.
Then, after adding the Full Traction CRC Link, the steering of the 4" lifted Jeep had improved and became much better than stock, as the typical (to live rear axles) need for constant little steering corrections is gone.

Last edited by GJeep; 10-28-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep

"I hate how the steering geometry goes insane with even the smallest lifts"
That's a myth.

On my previous Jeep, I could change between 0" and 4" lift (it had air springs). With 4" it didn't behave any worse than with 0". Part of the good overall ride and handling quality was due to the air springs, and steering definitely didn't suffer.

The current JKUR, with 4" lift, behaved and steered well, no flaw vs stock.
Then, after adding the Full Traction CRC Link, the steering of the 4" lifted Jeep had improved and became much better than stock, as the typical (to live rear axles) need for constant little steering corrections is gone.
I had a totally different experience with my 3.5" (actual) lift. With the 3.5", my front axle shifted to the driver side almost an inch until I added an adjustable track bar. I just don't see how going up 4" with the track bar remaining the same length could not affect the geometry. Hitting a bump with the axle shifted would make the Jeep want to sharply turn to one direction, not fun.

My suggestion to the original question which was "more capable without a lift" I would say that you need to cut the fenders or install flat fenders so you can fit 35" or 37" tires, install a snorkel if you are anticipating any high water, add a full set of skid plates or at least for the engine oil pan and transmission along with a good set of rock rails, and finally if you are going to add an aftermarket front bumper with a winch, you will want at the minimum a leveling kit.

Quick Reply: more capable with no lift