Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

more capable with no lift

Old 01-17-2015, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also to the OP - here's a pretty slick set up of a local wheeler. Not sure if he's a member here or not.

Stock on 37’s and MC fenders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1061904067.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	592413  
Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass
I feel like we're saying the same thing - only you're saying it with more detail and facts :-) As you increase tire height, you have to decrease backspace to maintain proper scrub radius also resulting in a wider track adding more stability. It has to be the proper ratio (or balance) in order not to have too much of a positive or negative scrub correct? Yes - this adds stress to an already week stock bj as well as other components but that goes without saying. Nobody should expect to be able to add bigger tires without trade-off of worn parts that will likely need to be upgraded sooner than if left stock. We do it to increase offroad performance right? Short of replacing the entire axle as you stated, this is what we have to do.
Exactly. There will always be a trade off unless it's done right. People just wonder why stuff always breaks.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sea bass
Also to the OP - here's a pretty slick set up of a local wheeler. Not sure if he's a member here or not. Stock on 37’s and MC fenders.
That's a nice look for stock achieved just by putting flat fenders on... Maybe I'm looking at the wrong mod for my next mod!?!?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Flat fenders is a great way to get clearance for bigger tires and not add lift and should be the first thing considered when you are looking into bigger tires. The less lift you have the better off you will be in almost all aspects of performance sans breaker angle. For about 95% of the "I wheel my daily driver crowd" would be best served by running 35"-36" tires with flat fenders, a front 3/4" spacer, proper gearing, lockers, and trimmed front and rear stubby bumpers. I would maybe throw in a cromoly drag link and tie rod just for extra strength.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Flat fenders is a great way to get clearance for bigger tires and not add lift and should be the first thing considered when you are looking into bigger tires. The less lift you have the better off you will be in almost all aspects of performance sans breaker angle. For about 95% of the "I wheel my daily driver crowd" would be best served by running 35"-36" tires with flat fenders, a front 3/4" spacer, proper gearing, lockers, and trimmed front and rear stubby bumpers. I would maybe throw in a cromoly drag link and tie rod just for extra strength.
I (part of the 95%) have a decent amount of weight over stock with LOD mid front and shorty rear with carrier, warn m8000 (steel cable), engine/tranny skid, and evap skid. Was considering trimming my fenders or buying flats, getting 315/70/17 Duratracs, and then 1.5" RK stock mod (springs, front adjust track bar, front disco sways, and rear track bar relocation bracket), extended brake lines, and OME shocks. I figured this is still a small enough lift to not have issues and get springs better suited for the added weight. Am I overlooking or missing something that would be a flaw in my thinking?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

looks like a solid plan to me. A little extra height will help keep you from bottoming out the suspension in those Chicago potholes.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
looks like a solid plan to me. A little extra height will help keep you from bottoming out the suspension in those Chicago potholes.
lol I think I need 40s for a few of them. Thanks for replying to me and all the others on here. It has helped so many figure out a little more of what we're doing. Hoping to make it to Badlands and Silver Lake a bit this year and maybe a Jamboree. Maybe some other places if/once I make some wheeling friends.

Would adjustable lower control arms provide enough or any benefit over stock to spend the money on them? On this small of a lift, I understand the reasons when over 2".
Old 01-18-2015, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Badlands is a great place to wheel, if your first trip I would try and camp and do a weekend. I used to be there 2-3 times a month. Silver lake is fun but just a bunch of sand and gearing/hp is the key up there. A heavy rig with improper gearing will have trouble climbing the dunes.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by auceny
I (part of the 95%) have a decent amount of weight over stock with LOD mid front and shorty rear with carrier, warn m8000 (steel cable), engine/tranny skid, and evap skid. Was considering trimming my fenders or buying flats, getting 315/70/17 Duratracs, and then 1.5" RK stock mod (springs, front adjust track bar, front disco sways, and rear track bar relocation bracket), extended brake lines, and OME shocks. I figured this is still a small enough lift to not have issues and get springs better suited for the added weight. Am I overlooking or missing something that would be a flaw in my thinking?
Originally Posted by auceny
lol I think I need 40s for a few of them. Thanks for replying to me and all the others on here. It has helped so many figure out a little more of what we're doing. Hoping to make it to Badlands and Silver Lake a bit this year and maybe a Jamboree. Maybe some other places if/once I make some wheeling friends.

Would adjustable lower control arms provide enough or any benefit over stock to spend the money on them? On this small of a lift, I understand the reasons when over 2".
I have the RK 1.5 lift. What I can you is that my caster was out of spec at 3.0 positive. With the front lower arms I at know in spec at a 5.0 positive.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
I have the RK 1.5 lift. What I can you is that my caster was out of spec at 3.0 positive. With the front lower arms I at know in spec at a 5.0 positive.
I was told by another with this lift that they were within stock specs with factory arms. The confusion begins anew!

Quick Reply: more capable with no lift