Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

more capable with no lift

Old 01-18-2015, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Flat fenders is a great way to get clearance for bigger tires and not add lift and should be the first thing considered when you are looking into bigger tires. The less lift you have the better off you will be in almost all aspects of performance sans breaker angle. For about 95% of the "I wheel my daily driver crowd" would be best served by running 35"-36" tires with flat fenders, a front 3/4" spacer, proper gearing, lockers, and trimmed front and rear stubby bumpers. I would maybe throw in a cromoly drag link and tie rod just for extra strength.
So with flat fenders and 35's is the 3/4" spacer needed or just a good idea? I keep jumping all over with my thoughts. I don't want a lift for any other reason than 35's to give a little more clearance on trails, If I can do it with my rubi take off shocks and springs I'd be happy with that. I love the way mine perform stock I just would like a little more clearance.

Last edited by trouty33; 01-18-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can run 35's with flats and stock suspension on the street but offroad I suspect you will find you are going to need a bit more height to stay out of the fenders. Don't discount a 1-1.25'' body lift either if you are nervous about making suspension changes.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rsbmg
You can run 35's with flats and stock suspension on the street but offroad I suspect you will find you are going to need a bit more height to stay out of the fenders. Don't discount a 1-1.25'' body lift either if you are nervous about making suspension changes.
Yeah I'm thinking the flat fenders are key to what I wanna be able to do... Don't really wanna cut mine but it's way cheaper.

Last edited by trouty33; 01-24-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cheapest and easiest way to run 35's is cut the fenders and throw in a small bodylift. Next is add spacers to the coils after that it's new springs. Figure out your budget and you have your answer.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Flat fenders is a great way to get clearance for bigger tires and not add lift and should be the first thing considered when you are looking into bigger tires. The less lift you have the better off you will be in almost all aspects of performance sans breaker angle. For about 95% of the "I wheel my daily driver crowd" would be best served by running 35"-36" tires with flat fenders, a front 3/4" spacer, proper gearing, lockers, and trimmed front and rear stubby bumpers. I would maybe throw in a cromoly drag link and tie rod just for extra strength.
^ this is a great setup. I have been running that way for over a year. Only thing I would add to the list is a 1.5" rear bumpstop. First time wheeling I tore up my 315's on the rear upper pinch seam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20150122_224703.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	593263
Old 01-23-2015, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by trouty33
So with flat fenders and 35's is the 3/4" spacer needed or just a good idea? I keep jumping all over with my thoughts. I don't want a lift for any other reason than 35's to give a little more clearance on trails, If I can do it with my rubi take off shocks and springs I'd be happy with that. I love the way mine perform stock I just would like a little more clearance.
IT depends on the vehicle and driver choice. A 3/4" spacer up front will level the jeep out and give you a bit more clearance. If you have steel bumpers and a heavy winch then you may be looking at a 1.5" spacer or some 1.5" coils to compensate for the loss of height due to the extra weight.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

IT depends on the vehicle and driver choice. A 3/4" spacer up front will level the jeep out and give you a bit more clearance. If you have steel bumpers and a heavy winch then you may be looking at a 1.5" spacer or some 1.5" coils to compensate for the loss of height due to the extra weight.
Thanks, at this point I'm leaning toward the teraflex leveling kit with trimmed fenders and the 35's should be good then once I can get them. I think that setup will give me everything in looking for with as little mods as possible.
If I do that I would just need wheel spacers when I get the 35's and trim the air damn and rubi rails when the tires get here if I'm not mistaken, no need for bump stops or anything else then correct?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Currently I run a '13 JKUR with flats, RK 1.5 with LCA's, and 35's. How much would a cromoly drag link and tie rod help me? Besides extra strength... I'm curious because it feels like my steering has become more "loose" since I lifted it and I'd like to tighten it back to stockish. I realize the bigger tires don't help that situation but I'd like highway driving to have a lil less steering wheel movement. I already have a Fox steering stablilzer.

Also to the OP, I ran 35's with no lift and flats for 2 years, minimal rubbing on the rear wheel well, but that was easily fixed by trimming the pinch seams. I really didn't need the 1.5" lift for what I do, but it did improve the handling off-road, my jeep stays much straighter going over wash boards now.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ParaJeeper
Currently I run a '13 JKUR with flats, RK 1.5 with LCA's, and 35's. How much would a cromoly drag link and tie rod help me? Besides extra strength... I'm curious because it feels like my steering has become more "loose" since I lifted it and I'd like to tighten it back to stockish. I realize the bigger tires don't help that situation but I'd like highway driving to have a lil less steering wheel movement. I already have a Fox steering stablilzer.

Also to the OP, I ran 35's with no lift and flats for 2 years, minimal rubbing on the rear wheel well, but that was easily fixed by trimming the pinch seams. I really didn't need the 1.5" lift for what I do, but it did improve the handling off-road, my jeep stays much straighter going over wash boards now.
I have the Rock Krawler 1.5 lift and would like to pictures of your Jeep and set up. Front and rear or just front lower control arms?

As for the steering, what is your caster numbers at?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
I have the Rock Krawler 1.5 lift and would like to pictures of your Jeep and set up. Front and rear or just front lower control arms?

As for the steering, what is your caster numbers at?
I don't have any pictures of the lift itself, this pic is with the lift installed. I am not sure of the caster numbers, my dad installed the lift (I use a wheelchair to get around so I am of little help with this stuff). I only know that he followed RK's instructions for setting it up. I have front and rear LCA's.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140910_132800.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	593776
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformation.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	593774  

Quick Reply: more capable with no lift