Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

more capable with no lift

Old 10-15-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more capable with no lift

Ive lifted several vehicles ive owned in the past and have tossed around the idea of doing the same with my jk, but for now I have decided against it. I like the way it handles and I hate how the steering geometry goes insane with even the smallest lifts, and I love the fuel economy im currently getting. So, my question to you guys is: what can I do to make my jeep more offroad capable without a lift kit?
Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black_14_jks
Ive lifted several vehicles ive owned in the past and have tossed around the idea of doing the same with my jk, but for now I have decided against it. I like the way it handles and I hate how the steering geometry goes insane with even the smallest lifts, and I love the fuel economy im currently getting. So, my question to you guys is: what can I do to make my jeep more offroad capable without a lift kit?
There are actually a bunch of people who run with no lift and frankly, "stock" jeeps are capable. I say stock in quotes because many of them look stock but aren't really.

If you aren't going to lift it, one of the first things I would think about is protection underneath. If you plan on getting into rocks, I would armor up the underside and get some sliders. I would also think about different tires. They don't have to be bigger, just not stock because they will not do as well as a more aggressive tire offroad. If you do go bigger on tires, you could always just get flat flares and do some trimming so they don't rub since you are not doing a lift.

These are just some of the things to think about. Also think about what kind of terrain you plan on taking it into. If you are just doing mild offroading on logging trails, you could get away with doing very little. If you plan on getting into rocks, definitely armor it up. If you plan on getting into mud, you'll want different tires. Let us know more about what you want to do with it and we can give you some ideas of where to go next.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Tires and lockers. Check the link in my sig as well.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I currently have federal couragia mt tires, ace rock sliders and a superwinch on it. Im kinda looking for what you described as a fairly stock look, just with more capabilities. Ive kinda been thinking skid plates and swaybar discos, just wondering if theres anything else I can do that im not thinking of? Itll get a rear locker eventually. I live in Kentucky so weve got mostly wooded trails, creeks, mud, and snow to drive in.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Maybe you could tell us what on the trails you are having a hard time with. Those trails you describe should not be an issue for a stock jeep.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Maybe you could tell us what on the trails you are having a hard time with. Those trails you describe should not be an issue for a stock jeep.
Really its only the ruts and some of the creekbanks that ive tried to climb that ive had a little trouble with. Im kinda thinking about new shocks too, just more or less for a smoother ride. Im kinda thinking about the rancho 9000's since theyre adjustable, unless theres something similar for a better price
Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

a 1.5-2" lift is not going to mess up your steering geometry or hurt your handling, certainly not make it insane.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt

a 1.5-2" lift is not going to mess up your steering geometry or hurt your handling, certainly not make it insane.
It seems like most spring lifts will net more than advertised, and im not sure how I feel about the pucks yet. Any opinions on them?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

It seems like most spring lifts will net more than advertised, and im not sure how I feel about the pucks yet. Any opinions on them?
I have had 2 jku/jkur a 13 and 14. On my 13 sport I had a 2" aev kit and it handled 100% stock in every way. I had a 1.5 TF performance coil kit and it lifted 2" in front and 1" in the back and handled better then stock both on and off road. I had the alignment checked on an computerized roadforce alignment table and it was with in specs all the way around. On my 14 rubicon I had a 2" aev kit and it handled exactly like stock. I currently have RK 1.5" triple rate coils and it is 2" lifted in front and about an 1" in back. handles better on and off road then stock. It too has been on the alignment table and it too is in spec. For street the pucks are great. If you are going off road or drive aggressively on road then I prefer the coils.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

They do their job And maintain the factory components/ride. Doing a small 1 inch puck to regain the height youve obviously lost due to the weight of sliders and winch, will just put you back where you were before. A 2 inch would gain you a bit more. Your steering Wouldn't be affected from that amount.
They Dont gain you any flex per say over stock but it will keep your belly up a bit. I highly recommend quick discos, they help keep all the wheels on the ground, improving traction in uneven terrain. you could go with the factory rubicon 32 inch mts. More aggressive and slightly bigger. Which will also help

Stay muddy my friends

Quick Reply: more capable with no lift