Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

To much skinny pedal may get you in trouble.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't matter from what angle this is. All I see are two people in way over their heads. Start small and work you way up.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

The driver is the least of the worries in all of those Videos. The most dangerous part of them is all the people that are standing so close to the rigs while on the obstacles. Back up, give the driver room to work. Rocks (even small ones) get kicked up by tires very fast and can cause very serious injuries. If tires are spinning then everyone backs up. If you are the spotter stand in front of the vehicle so the driver can see you and the trail ahead, not off to the side to they have to turn their head to see you. Always stay far enough in front of the vehicle so that if the throttle sticks you can get out of the way. No one approaches the vehicle unless the brake lights are on. If you are giving a push never stand in line with the tire.

We all have been beginners at one point or another, we have all pushed our rigs a little further than we should have. I have trail guided at many events. If you have an experienced spotter than that is one of the best ways to learn what you and your rig are capable of doing.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by duluthjk
The driver is the least of the worries in all of those Videos. The most dangerous part of them is all the people that are standing so close to the rigs while on the obstacles. Back up, give the driver room to work. Rocks (even small ones) get kicked up by tires very fast and can cause very serious injuries. If tires are spinning then everyone backs up. If you are the spotter stand in front of the vehicle so the driver can see you and the trail ahead, not off to the side to they have to turn their head to see you. Always stay far enough in front of the vehicle so that if the throttle sticks you can get out of the way. No one approaches the vehicle unless the brake lights are on. If you are giving a push never stand in line with the tire.

We all have been beginners at one point or another, we have all pushed our rigs a little further than we should have. I have trail guided at many events. If you have an experienced spotter than that is one of the best ways to learn what you and your rig are capable of doing.

Well said !
Seeing that leg sticking out made me very nervous... that jeep needs the doors putback on and the windows rolled up
Old 04-18-2014, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Watching that made me tingle, and not in the good way.

Safety is a mindset and it can be learned...seems like that group of people needs to find some mentor/sage types to help them slow down and approach things a bit more professionally and safely.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stick with kaena point.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:42 PM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE="duluthjk;3887889"]The driver is the least of the worries in all of those Videos. The most dangerous part of them is all the people that are standing so close to the rigs while on the obstacles. Back up, give the driver room to work. Rocks (even small ones) get kicked up by tires very fast and can cause very serious injuries. If tires are spinning then everyone backs up. If you are the spotter stand in front of the vehicle so the driver can see you and the trail ahead, not off to the side to they have to turn their head to see you. Always stay far enough in front of the vehicle so that if the throttle sticks you can get out of the way. No one approaches the vehicle unless the brake lights are on. If you are giving a push never stand in line with the tire. We all have been beginners at one point or another, we have all pushed our rigs a little further than we should have. I have trail guided at many events. If you have an experienced spotter than that is one of the best ways to learn what you and your rig are capable of doing.[/QUOTE

^Well said. This was a how not to video IMHO.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ppl were standing WAY to close for one thing. Second the arms and legs need to be inside. DVD no matter what angle u look at it from it looks DANGEROUS!

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 04-19-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I would not wheel with that guy... definitely a loose cannon

I thought it was a woman? Looked and sounded like one to me. None the less, dangerous as hell. I wouldn't invite a person like that out with my group. She's bound to hit someone. Could had been a child watching that wouldn't had been able to get out of the way in time.

Not only did she stick her foot out at the end as a kickstand, but earlier in the video her arm was hanging out pushing against a rock too. The stupidity there in endless.

Originally Posted by chevyok06
Absolutely, literally just giver light throttle let her spin and the jeep will do all the work. Absolutely amazed at how well it worked. Kinda thinking no lockers for me lol. Only concern is When i get into wet slick stuff it kills damn near all power. And on a wet hill climb it's dangerous.
You either need to use 4low or turn your ESP completely off by holding the button down for about 8 - 10 seconds or so when in 4high. The light will turn on an you'll here a loud ding. You'll know it's off then. Wont kill your power no more.

Last edited by D3ADLY; 04-19-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wheeling this weekend and there was an off camber turn that had the roof of the vehicle nearing within an inch or so of a tree. Instinct told me to stick my arm out and just "push that old tree away"!

Thankfully, this video popped into my mind and I thought "goodness don't do that. You don't want to be THOSE people!"

Tree only rubbed on some roll bar padding. All was well, including my arm!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

She is obviously a young, new 4 wheeler. We have all been there, and I think we have all done some stupid stuff while on the trail, wether or not it caused injury or damage,, isn't the true indicator of just how stupid. I think some constructive criticism and additional instruction will help. That, along with more time behind the wheel on the trail will hopefully get her off road skills and common sense up to par. I wish her luck!

Quick Reply: To much skinny pedal may get you in trouble.