Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

New, larger, SOLO STOVE

Old 09-19-2014, 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New, larger, SOLO STOVE

For those who have been using a Solo stove or its bigger brother, the Titan, and for those who haven't tried one of those excellent high efficiency wood-gas stoves --

In response to customers' demand, Solo Stove is coming out with a larger Stove named 'Campfire', which allows boiling/cooking/frying for more people.

They have just announced a kickstarter -- pledge orders -- with the goal of recruiting $20,000 for the first production run.
They reached over $16,000 in the first 24 hours.
[ About 1% of it are mine, for two stoves... ]

Website Link -- The #1 Wood Burning Backpacking Stove by Solo Stove

Facebook Link -- https://www.facebook.com/solostove

Last edited by GJeep; 09-20-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

I'm surprised that no one shows interest...
Old 09-20-2014, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty cool. I've always used a Jetboil stove but this would be good for a bigger group.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-20-2014, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

It looks pretty cool. I looked through the website but I must have overlooked how much the largest one cost. Do you know?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Dlampe
It looks pretty cool. I looked through the website but I must have overlooked how much the largest one cost. Do you know?
The Solo Stove Campfire only, is $99.

Here -- The #1 Wood Burning Backpacking Stove by Solo Stove, on the top left, you see pictures of the three sizes.
For the Campfire, click on the model name under its picture. It'll take you from there, though KICKSTART, until you get to Amazon for the completion of the pledge.

I did it twice, in order to get one for my son and one for me, but I now see that it allows only one pledge per person.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-20-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GJeep
I'm surprised that no one shows interest...
I have looked at this before from different web pages I have gone too and it would be so easy to carry even the small for 2 people in the jeep for emergences doing different trips. If anyone carries a (so call bug out bag) it would be nice to carry one of these.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have one of their current large model, (Titan?).
Nothing but good stuff to say about it. I have got plenty of wood and wood scrap in my A.O. so no worries there.

The wife and I love to get lost and have a "picnic" with it and some Mountain House stuff. We like to go wheeling in the rain and muck we have here for months on end through the winter.

Kind of scary to light a fire out in the woods right now.
It has been dry as a bone for many months here and we are experiencing a major drought right now with forest fires all over the place around us.

I guess for a larger group/ base camp situation this new model would fit the bill.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tree Frog
I have one of their current large model, (Titan?).
Nothing but good stuff to say about it. I have got plenty of wood and wood scrap in my A.O. so no worries there.

The wife and I love to get lost and have a "picnic" with it and some Mountain House stuff. We like to go wheeling in the rain and muck we have here for months on end through the winter.

Kind of scary to light a fire out in the woods right now.
It has been dry as a bone for many months here and we are experiencing a major drought right now with forest fires all over the place around us.

I guess for a larger group/ base camp situation this new model would fit the bill.
Over here, the hot & dry summer is 8 months long, so setting a fire in the woods, or even in open spaces, is a risk most of the time
One of the reasons why I like the Solo Stove is that the fire is contained and safe to use.
Tall flames coming out of the stove aren't necessary and in fact counter-productive, because much of the flame isn't going through the secondary burn of wood gas and smoke particles. It also emits much smoke.

For both safety and optimal efficiency, low flames are the way to go.
Very little of the flames should get to the pot bottom, and horizontal/radial flames (= secondary combustion), at the level of the holes around the top rim, emit more heat per less wood, and no sparks get out of the stove.
For yet more efficiency and safety, a folding wind screen can be used, e.g.:
Robot Check
or an improvised one.

In the woods, we have a lot of dry Conifer 'needles" on the ground, so I put the Solo Stove on a large flat Aluminum or Stainless Steel plate. If anything drops next to the stove, it doesn't get outside the plate.

Pine cones -- only open ones should be used. The closed ones, if set on fire, may "spit" burning seeds to a distance of a few feet.

The bottom of the stove never gets warm enough to set anything on fire.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-21-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:51 PM
JK Junkie

Via KICKSTARTER, Solo Stove asked for pledges of $20,000, for the first production run of their new, larger stove.
Within a few days, they got double the sum they wished for, and there's still a month to go.

No, I have no connection with Solo Stove, other than having purchased their stoves, which function very well.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-27-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Quick Reply: New, larger, SOLO STOVE