Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

New Manual Driver: Am I Missing Something??

Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Manual Driver: Am I Missing Something??

So I've been reading up about going off road with a manual transmission and I understand some things, but there are a few things I need cleared up if y'all can help. I plan on tinkering around in the fields I have for practice tomorrow.

1. I know not to use the clutch as much as possible: no clutch in mud/water and starting it in 4lo and such, but how do I shift without depressing the clutch? just gradual pressure? Can this only be done in 4lo? Or can It not be done at all without grinding gears? What about down shifting?
2. When going through mud do I want to be in 4hi or 4lo? (don't plan on sinking it in mud, but you never know)
3. Anything else you can think of for words of advice! Most of you have probably forgotten more than I know so it's greatly appreciated

(My jeep conveniently came without an owners manual )

Last edited by JK505; 10-20-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn off jeep and put in 4lo and second gear. Turn on jeep without clutch and it will work like an auto. From what I read sand and mud you should be in 4hi. I'm subscribing because I would like to know too.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 21
Turn off jeep and put in 4lo and second gear. Turn on jeep without clutch and it will work like an auto. From what I read sand and mud you should be in 4hi. I'm subscribing because I would like to know too.
You can put it in 4lo with it off? I didn't know that. I know you can start it in 4lo with no clutch. I'm still curious about this magical shifting with out depressing the clutch.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When off road put it 4 low and stay there. If you stall in mud or nasty water put into 1st gear and start engine without pushing in the clutch.

Last edited by OH9JK; 10-21-2014 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:21 AM
JK Junkie

You can shift into 4wd with the jeep off. Figured this out when I pulled my driveshaft, switching in/out to get to each bolt.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 AM
JK Super Freak

All good information but does anyone know anything regarding shifting while driving in 4lo not using the clutch?
Old 10-21-2014, 02:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default New Manual Driver: Am I Missing Something??

You have to use the clutch to shift. Don't shift in deep water, pick a gear and stay in it until you are back up on "dry land" and do not use the clutch in deep water/ mud; it will ruin your clutch

Last edited by orngkrate; 10-21-2014 at 02:16 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-21-2014, 02:23 AM
JK Freak

4lo + 2nd gear = auto glide mode, you will not be shifting again until you take it out of 4 lo. Rarely you might need first in 4 lo for a max steep incline but if you aren't trying to climb vertical surfaces with winch assist 2nd outta do it, also do not get heavy on the gas in 4 lo either.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by orngkrate
You have to use the clutch to shift. Don't shift in deep water, pick a gear and stay in it until you are back up on "dry land" and do not use the clutch in deep water/ mud; it will ruin your clutch
Thank you, I thought I was losing my mind when I heard people shifting without the clutch. Just played around in the fields around my house (I own them so yes it's legal) and 4lo is pretty sweet to toy around in. Very easy to get in and out of compared to the autos I've driven.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK505
Thank you, I thought I was losing my mind when I heard people shifting without the clutch. Just played around in the fields around my house (I own them so yes it's legal) and 4lo is pretty sweet to toy around in. Very easy to get in and out of compared to the autos I've driven.
The auto jku is easy enough to get in to 4lo as well, its a matter of putting the transmission in neutral, then the differential to neutral, let off the brake, put the differential in 4lo, and then the transmission into drive and on your way you go. To reverse it you just have to slow to a crawl and go back into neutral, if you try without going slow enough it makes unhappy sounds.

Quick Reply: New Manual Driver: Am I Missing Something??